NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Picked up a 00 NB 1.8T, auto, gas. The engine turned over but would not start. Drug it home...(ran VAG-COM on it and it threw a ton of codes)found a Passat 1.8T running engine, swapped everything from the NB engine to Passat 1.8T, (this has taken 14 months now). I have everything hooked up but, when I attach the battery all I get is the battery charging light on the dash...nothing else? Import mechanic says all wires look like they're where they should be...? Does anyone have an idea? I was told that it needed to be re-programmed. Called the dealership and they stated I shouldn't have to re-program it just to get it to turn over.....Know idea any thoughts?

Thanks, Ed

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts
I second the thought over in your Vortex post...I would guess the NB ECU doesn't recognize the Passat engine, as they use different 1.8T motors than the NBs do. Have you hooked up VAG-COM on it?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I second the thought over in your Vortex post...I would guess the NB ECU doesn't recognize the Passat engine, as they use different 1.8T motors than the NBs do. Have you hooked up VAG-COM on it?
I second that as well. I think it is an ECU issue. Up to 2000 the New Beetle used a very small Memory chip in their ECU's
2001 and after the ECU memory doubled in size and is a lot different than the pre 2001 ECU's APR couldn't direct program my 2000 New Beetle's ECU without installing a larger chip. REVO however did do it and the car runs great. I would check into 2001 or newer ECU. What year is the Passat engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K., I was over talking to a mechanic friend of mine...he starts talking out loud (chasing wiring in his head). Says "start with the basics". I came home and hooked a ground wire from the battery to the BODY and she fired right up! Stupid!:eek: Hopefully my dumb mistake will help someone else.

Thanks,

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Glad ya got it. Thanks for posting up the solution. Way to many people come asking for advice, but never post after the issue is resolved, or what the problem was.
Make sure to tell your son to join the Org. We love newbee's. And if ya didn't know, we want pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts