NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm having a problem with my transmission seems like it's always in forward gear and it won't go into reverse and the codes are getting our po705 730 + 740 any help would be great on what's going on thanks

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
P0705: Transmission Range Sensor/ Switch Circuit Malfunction

P0705 Volkswagen Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0705 Volkswagen Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Possible causes
– Faulty Park/Neutral Position Switch
– Misadjusted Park/Neutral Position Switch
– Park/Neutral Position Switch harness is open or shorted
– Park/Neutral Position Switch circuit poor electrical connection
What about the obd code?
The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position and sends a signal to the TCM.
Symptoms
– Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
P0705 Volkswagen Description
The park/neutral position (PNP) switch includes a transmission range switch. The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position when the shift lever is in the N or P shift position and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Volkswagen Vehicle:Volkswagen CC,Volkswagen Eos,Volkswagen Golf,Volkswagen GTI,Volkswagen Jetta,Volkswagen New Beetle,Volkswagen Passat,Volkswagen Routan,Volkswagen Tiguan,Volkswagen Touareg,Volkswagen Beetle,Volkswagen Golf,Volkswagen Polo,Volkswagen Touran,Volkswagen up,Volkswagen Sharan,Volkswagen Santana,Volkswagen Lavida
CategoriesVolkswagenTagsP0705

It probably, would be a good idea; to have access, to a VW scan tool like VCDS by Ross Tech. This would allow you to look at live data and pull factory VW trouble codes. It could be something as simple; as a wiring problem, the tranmission selector is bad or in the case of the torque converter, a internal issue, requiring the trans to be pulled. Viewing live data and fixing any external issues; that do not require a trans pull, would be worth a shot and internal issues are found, you would need to decide, what to do next or just punt, find another car or get yours repaired.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
153000 miles on motor. Selector matches prnd321 yes is also o1m trans. The car recently had a key made by a locksmith so those codes were stored in mem. No check engine light current. This was a car from a tow yard I was thinking of buying until it wouldn't go in to reverse. I don't know if this matters but the security light in top center of console is always flashing even though car starts and runs.

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Again without access to a vw specific scan tool; it is hard to know what is going on. From a mileage perspective; if you have a choice, a new beetle with a standard trans is more durable, especially after 100k and a aging 10-20+ year old vintage volkswagen.

If you haven't already bought it; look for a standard new beetle, in functional condition and a 2.0L for reliability or the 1.8T for fun, best performance. If performance is your thing; the Turbo S was the best and highest performing new beetle made for usa/north america (180 hp 1.8T and six speed standard trans).

If you already own the car and are stuck with it; we can try to help you figure things out but you definitely need to get a scan tool like the VCDS by ross tech, to bring some sanity to your troubleshooting and enhance your diagnostic capabilities, to figure out what's going on.

Let us know; what kind of car you want to end up with, your ultimate goals with a older vw, how much you want to spend; what your thinking concerning the whole project/repairs and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't own yet. I'll get back to you with the others I got to think some thank you all who answered, especially you. When I make a decision I'll let you know thank you again!

·
Registered
11,908 Posts
Ok, best to purchase a car, that actually works and doesn't have major problems (that are expensive to repair), like transmission issues. There are many fish in the sea; keep looking and you will find a good one, that is right for you. It can be a good idea; to have a prepurchase inspection done by a pro vw shop and that way, you don't get stuck with major problems, which could cost more in repairs, then the car is worth (probably why the car ended up in the junk yard; in the first place). Good luck in your search! Thanks. :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
The junkyard is full of VW’s from those 01M years with failed transmissions. Sometimes the cars are still in great shape but it doesn’t matter if it won’t move. I’m partial to the diesel VW’s and I see guys selling them on Craigslist with wording like “these diesels are known to last over 500k miles” which is true but mated to that transmission they’ll never make it.

I regard any auto transmission equipped VW from that era as a parts car only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts