NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend moved to florida and her car is a 2000 silver vw beetle 1.8T with automatic transmission. At 107k miles looks and rides great, however i want to ask all of you experts in what should start looking first to turn the "engine check light" off. It is completely stock and i was thinking at first instance the o2 sensor replacement, unless there is something else. I will post pictures before and after few projects.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way it is a GLX and it comes with everything. Tomorrow is getting a new look window tinting, HID's fog lights, LED replacement interior lights, new antenna, and possible a roof black gloss 3M wrap which it will match a future roof spoiler on its way in two weeks. Chrome accents for the interior and exterior will be next in the following weeks.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hello everyone,

My girlfriend moved to florida and her car is a 2000 silver vw beetle 1.8T with automatic transmission. At 107k miles looks and rides great, however i want to ask all of you experts in what should start looking first to turn the "engine check light" off. It is completely stock and i was thinking at first instance the o2 sensor replacement, unless there is something else. I will post pictures before and after few projects.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris
Automatic Transmission = Danger, Will Robinson, Danger.
Failure is imminent......

Seriously. Besides the obvious (Timing Belt, Water Pump, Accessory Belt, tensioner and pulley, which I hope has already been replaced or you are sitting on a time bomb) the Automatic transmission fluid and filter should be replaced ASAP.
It's probably darker than Darth Vaders Mask and there is more metal in the pan than on the Tin Man in the Wizzard of OZ.
So do those two things if they haven't been done. Timing belt Service and Automatic Transmission Flush/Service.

What makes you think the O2 sensors are bad?? What are the codes that the Beetle is posting?? Go to Autozone and post the codes here. Not just what "they" think it might be. They don't know Beetle's as well as we do ;)

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Timing Belt > ES#5954 ECS Tuning Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate Plus - 06B198479 V2WAF

Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Search > Transmission Fluid > ES#261800 Complete Automatic Transmission Service Kit - 01MSKKT

If the oil hasn't been changed in a while I would go ahead and change it as well. (With VW approved Oil of course)

Keep us posted.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Welcome to the .Org!

Have you gotten the car scanned for codes? We can't really help too much unless we know what codes you are getting. Autozone, etc. should be able to get them for you for free.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
By the way it is a GLX and it comes with everything. Tomorrow is getting a new look window tinting, HID's fog lights, LED replacement interior lights, new antenna, and possible a roof black gloss 3M wrap which it will match a future roof spoiler on its way in two weeks. Chrome accents for the interior and exterior will be next in the following weeks.
HID Foglights? Very difficult to pull off. Not impossible just a bit tough to wire down there by the bumper and hide the Ballasts. Also there are no projectors on the Fog lights so you will blind the crap out of oncoming traffic.

Also the GLX already has a deployable roof Spoiler. You really can't put another one on top of the original. Well you can but it won't look very good. The spoiler motor on the 2000 GLX deploys the spoiler at 93mph. They changed the spoiler motors in late 2001 and 2002 to deploy at around 45mph. There is a manual release button you can push to clean the spoiler. it sits very low on the drivers side dash. You got to look for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HID Foglights? Very difficult to pull off. Not impossible just a bit tough to wire down there by the bumper and hide the Ballasts. Also there are no projectors on the Fog lights so you will blind the crap out of oncoming traffic.

Also the GLX already has a deployable roof Spoiler. You really can't put another one on top of the original. Well you can but it won't look very good. The spoiler motor on the 2000 GLX deploys the spoiler at 93mph. They changed the spoiler motors in late 2001 and 2002 to deploy at around 45mph. There is a manual release button you can push to clean the spoiler. it sits very low on the drivers side dash. You got to look for it.
You mean the black lid piece between the glass and the roof, right?
I was thinking to add a roof spoiler or wrap it on vinyl since the color started to fade.
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Welcome, can't wait to see pictures :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
You mean the black lid piece between the glass and the roof, right?
I was thinking to add a roof spoiler or wrap it on vinyl since the color started to fade.
Thanks for the info.
Yup, it's the black piece between the roof and the glass.
If you do get vinyl wrap don't cover it up because if you do ever reach 93mph you won't get back to the Future but instead it will make a terrible noise and your vinyl cover will buckle or the spoiler motor will burn up.
Not sure what you mean by adding a Roof Spoiler? I have known people that added a regular spoiler in the back but not a "Roof" Spoiler especially on the 1.8's which already have a roof spoiler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, it's the black piece between the roof and the glass.
If you do get vinyl wrap don't cover it up because if you do ever reach 93mph you won't get back to the Future but instead it will make a terrible noise and your vinyl cover will buckle or the spoiler motor will burn up.
Not sure what you mean by adding a Roof Spoiler? I have known people that added a regular spoiler in the back but not a "Roof" Spoiler especially on the 1.8's which already have a roof spoiler.
I see, is there a way to reprogram this spoiler at 45mph as the later models as mentioned above? Also, do you or anybody knows a good vw mechanic shop in south florida?

Painted Volkswagen New Beetle Extreme Roof Spoiler New | eBay

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i will go for a M3 lip spoiler instead the roof spoiler. My girl and I dont plan to go any faster than 80mph until engine light issue goes off and other maintenance as well.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I see, is there a way to reprogram this spoiler at 45mph as the later models as mentioned above? Also, do you or anybody knows a good vw mechanic shop in south florida?

Painted Volkswagen New Beetle Extreme Roof Spoiler New | eBay
Yes, you can swap out the spoiler motor with a new one from a 2002 and newer 1.8 Beetle. They are hard to find. I tried for a while but so far no luck. I am still looking for one myself.

I don't think that spoiler that you listed from E-bay will work with your 1.8 It will be in direct interference with the current roof spoiler. I would refrain from getting that one.

I would concentrate on the required Maintenance of the vehicle like timing belt/water pump service and transmission fluid replacement. Those things if neglected and they fail will cost you several thousand dollars in repairs. Well over what the car is worth.

Also get the car scanned and let us know what the codes are.

Autozone does that for free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, you can swap out the spoiler motor with a new one from a 2002 and newer 1.8 Beetle. They are hard to find. I tried for a while but so far no luck. I am still looking for one myself.

I don't think that spoiler that you listed from E-bay will work with your 1.8 It will be in direct interference with the current roof spoiler. I would refrain from getting that one.

I would concentrate on the required Maintenance of the vehicle like timing belt/water pump service and transmission fluid replacement. Those things if neglected and they fail will cost you several thousand dollars in repairs. Well over what the car is worth.

Also get the car scanned and let us know what the codes are.

Autozone does that for free.
Will do, but an you tell me more about these codes? Why are so important? Thanks :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
The codes are the cars way of telling you what is wrong. If an O2 sensor goes, there is likely a specific code which registers in the computer system and triggers a series of events, sometimes as simple as turning on the check engine light.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Also, do you or anybody knows a good vw mechanic shop in south florida?
I'm not sure where you are located in Florida. I am in Tampa. There is a great place here called A&J Auto...they specialize in German cars. The "J" in A&J was born and raised in Germany, which is where he learned how to work on the German cars. He came over here and started the shop with another guy. They are not cheapy cheap, but charge half the dealer price per hour and they do not cut corners. Everything is always done right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The codes are the cars way of telling you what is wrong. If an O2 sensor goes, there is likely a specific code which registers in the computer system and triggers a series of events, sometimes as simple as turning on the check engine light.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
I will do this over the weekend. Thanks for the info!! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts