VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, had an issue and hoping for some insight. I have been using some coolant for a couple months, maybe a pint or 2 a week, when looking over everything, saw some leakage on the rear of the head by the exhaust manifold. I am assuming this is bad news :(

This is a 2001 Beetle with 2.0L AZG and 140k miles.

But it seems to be leaking around the smaller metal tube/manifold below the exhaust manifold. What is this, an emission pre-heater, some kind of coolant manifold, not sure so asking.

Not smoking, no water in oil or vice versa, and good compression across cylinders, so I got that going for me.

What you think, just throw in the towel and do the head gasket, or there something I can check to ensure this?

See pics for the leak areas.
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Before going that deep; I would confirm the coolant leak, where specifically, it is coming from. The best way to do this; is a cooling system pressure tester. For the head gasket; you can also, test with a chemical tester by seeing if the cooling system has combustion gases in it.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258 (check online for a extra 20% off coupon)

http://t.harborfreight.com/radiator...258.html?utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

Combustion leak tester

https://www.google.com/search?q=hea...hrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US#imgrc=_

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, had an issue and hoping for some insight. I have been using some coolant for a couple months, maybe a pint or 2 a week, when looking over everything, saw some leakage on the rear of the head by the exhaust manifold. I am assuming this is bad news :(

This is a 2001 Beetle with 2.0L AZG and 140k miles.

But it seems to be leaking around the smaller metal tube/manifold below the exhaust manifold. What is this, an emission pre-heater, some kind of coolant manifold, not sure so asking.

Not smoking, no water in oil or vice versa, and good compression across cylinders, so I got that going for me.

What you think, just throw in the towel and do the head gasket, or there something I can check to ensure this?

See pics for the leak areas.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey did you ever figure out what that was by chance because mine is leaking from the exact same metal line from the same spot. But it comes out kinda heavy when it's running. I took the line off but it still looks okay idk but it's definitely leaking from there trying to troubleshoot I'd really appreciate some advice if possible on a tight budget so trying to do it myself if possible

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Pressure testing the coolant system; using a pressure test kit, linked to above, can help you pinpoint the source of the leak. After that, it is a matter of; figuring out what parts, hoses or lines, need to be replaced. Then, do the pressure test again and confirm, no more leaks. The pressure tester is nice, as the engine can be cooled off, testing is performed; while the engine is off and not running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts