NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom has a 2001 beetle 1.8t turbo. I have run into a few things on this that I didn't understand but took awhile to figure out because I was not properly using my resources like this website. Anyways, her CEL came on the other day so I plugged my reader up to it and it gave me two codes: engine running lean bank 1 and engine running rich bank 1. Thought this was weird so cleared it out and let her drive it again. Well it came back on after some city driving and it was the same two codes. I took a look at the data stream and it looked like O2S11 was about .437v but O2S12 was at -0.035 mA at idle at normal operating temperature. So I was thinking that the O2S12 sensor was actually a wide band A/F sensor and that might be sending a goofy signal to the ECM. I just recently replaced the secondary air pump piping (**** was expensive, wish Dorman sold something) but that was the only thing that I have changed in the past year probably besides scheduled maintenance. Seeing if anyone else had a similar problem before or if anyone could tell me what the common O2 sensor and/or the other o2 sensor or A/F sensor value typically should be.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14,080 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
SAI pump

If you thought the piping is expensive wait till you find out how much is the OEM pump intself...:p No fear though you can also find the Generic secondary air pumps online (ebay) for much less. hope this helps the next guy with similar problem. I also heard of folks using 3/4 heater hose tubing/elbows to connect those SAI pump tubing. Just cut the original end piece if it's still usable and connect it to the heater hose with hose clamps. There is a DIY thread around here with pictures just do a search. Good Luck man :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not sure what you have for a scan tool.

What you need is a good tool that displays real time data along with Freeze Frame info.

What I need to see is the Freeze Frame data for each code, along with the engine coolant temperature at idle after at last 10 minutes of driving and the Long Term Fuel trim value at idle.

Can you provide the exact codes P0XXX that you were able to read?

Likely you have multiple issues.

Do not change any sensors yet.

There is likely a vacuum leak or leaks withing the engine crankcase and/or intake path.

Have you already replaced the 3 small black and white check valves on the top of the engine below the engine cover?

How old are the spark plugs? Turbo motors eat spark plugs.

Do you know if the car had a recall for replacement ignition coils and if they were replaced??

Read the 2 links below in my signature as well. Pay careful attention to the OBD link as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh it's an Actron Pro 9190 so it's nothing fancy. It does have live feed and I can get still frames. The codes were p0172 and p0173. I checked all the vacuum lines and also any other places for leaks. I was unaware of these valves, what do they do? Are these like PCV valves? I have been having and issue with this thing smoking a little under the hood. Smells like burning oil but there is no oil leaking ANYWHERE. Seems to be coming from under the intake someplace, wonder if like these valves are messed up too.

The last big thing I did about a year ago (12k miles ) was I did replace plugs and coil packs (from VW) but also bought a GTI's coil pack wiring harness and replaced all the wires/connectors from the coil pack to down stream by the radiator junction of other wires. The previous wires had hairline cracks in them and were getting crappy and VW wanted me to replace the whole harness and that was a no go. The GTI kit had all the same color wires except the voltage wire I believe? I cant remember.

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
Ross Tech Wiki:

16556/P0172/000370

16556/P0172/000370 - Ross-Tech Wiki

P0173 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 2)

The burning oil smell; under the intake, could be the egr hose system. It is very common for the hoses to deteriorate and split. Aftermarket silicone hose replacements; are usually, the best and cheaper then replacing with the stock VW hoses, which are expensive.

Here is a good thread; that shows the replacement of the breather hose system and a exploded view, that gives you a sense of how the system is set up.

VWVortex.com - DIY - 1.8t Lower PCV Hose install, pics!!

If you find leaks and problems with yours; I would recommend the replacement from 034 Motorsports. Make sure you get the right one; as there are a early and late type.

Breather Hose Kit, Mk4 1.8T AWW/AWP/AWV, Reinforced Silicone - 034Motorsport | Performance Parts for Audi, Porsche, and Volkswagen

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Eh it's an Actron Pro 9190 so it's nothing fancy. It does have live feed and I can get still frames. The codes were p0172 and p0173. I checked all the vacuum lines and also any other places for leaks. I was unaware of these valves, what do they do?
If you replaced the plugs and coils, you likely cracked or broke the small black and white check valves if they are still original. They are right on top of the engine near the valve cover mostly on the drivers side.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...8T%2FSearch%2FCheck_Valve%2FES3022%2F;600;450

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...oster-lines-check-valve-question.html;800;600

Need you to take a picture of the Freeze Frame Date or post the info up here for review along with the Long Term Fuel Trim at idle.

Your dipstick tube is likely broken at the base and needs to be replaced, at the cars age you should likely be on the 2nd replacement dipstick tube. This is a vacuum leak source.

You may also have a leaking valve cover, they leak on the rear passenger side and it is hard to see, the lower engine cover usually catches the oil leaking and keeps if from showing up in the driveway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts