NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 GLS wouldn't go into 4th gear. Dealer changed the transmission module. It ran well for a day or two. This morning, the same problem started again. It won't go past the 3rd gear. The rpm needle flickers and the screen "P R N D 3 2 1" blinks continuously. Any thoughts?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Just some random thoughts. The cluster could be going out. The valve body inside the transmission could be bad. The wire harness going to the valve body could be warn, and shorting out. The module the dealer used was bad out of the box. The fluid and filter need to be changed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same problem I had last nite. When driving, there was a jerk when it shifted to second gear. Seems like something slipped internally, then it would stay in 2nd gear until you reach around 4T rpm. After that, it will stay 3rd gear and won't shift to 4th. What I did was parked the car, turned engine off, turned it back on, then it went back to normal. This problem of mine is been doing it on and off. I suspect it's the computer box that is having the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else experience this problem before?

Mine is doing it on and off as well. Like I said in my original post, the transmission module has been replaced. Hannaco, is the flickering rpm needle and the blinking screen symptoms that are consistent with the things you mention - valve body, wire harness, fluid and filter? Has anyone else had similar problems? A jerky shift to second gear? and stuck in 3rd? Please advise.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The flickering of the screen, and the rpm jerking around are symptoms of a bad cluster.
A dirty valve body/bad wire harness can result in hard shifts, or not shifting.
Dirty fluid and filter can just gum things up. If you have the fluid and filter changed, they can then see what things look like inside the transmission. There are magnets on the pan so you can see how much metal has warn off the gears.
A fluid and filter change will not be cheap at the dealer. What part of the world are you located? Someone might be able to recommend a good shop in your area.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts