NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 turbo beetle with 158,000 miles. A previous owner put the wrong transmission fluid in it, and now a valve body has burned out. It's a $2,700 repair. I'm inclined to think it's not worth it to repair it. Assuming the rest of the car is fundamentally in good shape, would it be worth repairing?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
If you are looking at repairing, doing a 5-speed swap is probably cheaper than fixing the auto. And at 158k, even after doing the valve body, it may still fail not long after.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Those early model 4 speed Automatic transmissions were pretty bad and those valve bodies have a high failure rate even with the correct fluid.

But $2700 for just the valve body is rediculous. You can get a brand new transmission for around $2000 and some used ones for about half that.

If you sell it you will probably get more money for the parts on the car then if you sell the car right out. If you get 800 out of the car you can be lucky,
If you part it out you probably get a little more.

Other things to consider is that once you do get the transmission replaced or fixed you will probably have to worry about doing the timing belt service on the
car which is probably about due again. That will set you back between $750 and $1500 depending where you take it. Or you can do it yourself for about $300.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
If it were me, I would put a five speed in it instead.
I second that motion :D I can't stand Automatics.
I hear ya Gents. Just laying out all options. I'd hate for her to pay big time money for an auto tranny rebuild, when you can get a new one cheaper.

I'm for a 5 speed as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. How complicated a repair is putting in a new manual transmission? I've done some basic repairs (e.g., changing the alternator) before. Is it something I should consider doing myself?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. How complicated a repair is putting in a new manual transmission? I've done some basic repairs (e.g., changing the alternator) before. Is it something I should consider doing myself?
Depends on how confident you are. I have never down a swap from an Automatic to a Manual before so I don't know what's involved. If it were me I would probably have a reputable VW shop do the swap but not the Stealer, I mean dealer ;)

Where are you located? Perhaps someone here can recommend a honest places that doesn't rip you off.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
You can do it if you have the tools and time.

Some of what you need would be. 5 speed with the cables and shifter.
clutch and flywheel
May need new wiring harness for trans, I don't know if the automatic has more sensors than the manual.

I believe it also needs a ECU from a manual car.

Michelle Rose changed her tdi to a manual. She should have some good insite as to what it takes. Try PM ing her

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I'm located in Athens, GA.
You can do it if you have the tools and time.

Some of what you need would be. 5 speed with the cables and shifter.
clutch and flywheel
May need new wiring harness for trans, I don't know if the automatic has more sensors than the manual.

I believe it also needs a ECU from a manual car.

Michelle Rose changed her tdi to a manual. She should have some good insite as to what it takes. Try PM ing her
AND Michelle lives in Atlanta!!! The dude that did the job lives in ATLANTA TOO! So good fortune has smiled upon you:D. Dude that did Her tranny swap did the whole shootin match. As memory serves me, the guy has everything to do the job- tranny and everything. From the rooter to the tooter, He'll do the job.

As David said, give MichelleRoze a PM and she'll hook you up.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
x3 on getting in touch with Michelle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts