VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new scanner. Hooked it up.
I"ve been fighting moon roof/wiper concerns since I purchased my used 2002 beetle a couple of years ago.
In either case, code 01044 Control Module Incorrectly Coded comes up.
I can only assume that I have to bring it to a VW shop to attempt to have it 'correctly coded'?

tks for any/all info in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Which scanner; did you get? First time; I have heard of this trouble code, probably need VCDS or vag 401 might be able to do the soft coding procedure, as well:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01044

When found in VW New Beetle/Cabriolet (1C/1Y/9C): Comfort System, this may be a Bug in the Control Module Software that will be resolved by refreshing the Coding with the same Value as described above with the CAN Gateway example.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sounds like the comfort control module (found above your knees and in the steering column area)may have been replaced? in the past and not done correctly perhaps. This module is like a hub of controls for a lot of internal functions like the sunroof and door locks and hatch release and..so on. they are not just a swap from the junkyard because they are car specific as not all beetles have turbo or sunroof etc..
There was one poster here who did a scan of his car with Vag Com before taking his car in for a new CCM. When he got the car back the sunroof didn't work and he referred to his earlier scan and found the dealer had not 'told' the controller the car had one. How that is done is not in my bag of tricks yet as I haven't learned the ins and outs of my own copy of Vag yet - im just a noob to it.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
According to the link above; there is a bug in the software and you just need to use VCDS, to re input the stock setting/coding and refresh the settings, to fix the problem. The other possibility listed; is someone installed the wrong part and it isn't compatible with the car.

Contents
1 01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
1.1 Possible Symptoms
1.2 Possible Causes
1.3 Possible Solutions
1.4 Special Notes
2 01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded: Implausible Signal
2.1 Possible Symptoms
2.2 Possible Causes
2.3 Possible Solutions
2.4 Special Notes
3 01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded: Mechanical Failure
3.1 Possible Causes
3.2 Possible Solutions
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded

Possible Symptoms

Reduced Functionality
Possible Causes
Control Module incorrectly coded
Possible Solutions
Check Gateway Installation List
Check/Fix Control Module Coding
See Vehicle Specific Diagnostic Procedures for Details

Special Notes

When found in CAN-Gateway:
On a Long Coded module, use the Gateway Installation List to check for unreachable or not registered control modules. Then update the Gateway [Installation List] by altering the Gateway Coding manually.
On a Short Coded modules, refresh the original coding with the same value. For example, code it from 00006 -to- 00006 without making an actual change.

When found in VW New Beetle/Cabriolet (1C/1Y/9C): Comfort System, this may be a Bug in the Control Module Software that will be resolved by refreshing the Coding with the same Value as described above with the CAN Gateway example.

When found in Brake Electronics (MK60EC1) while the Coding is NOT all Zeros, check the [19-CAN Gateway] > [Coding - 07]. An incorrect LHD/RHD Configuration may cause this Fault Code.
When found in the VW Passat (3B) Gateway Controller: Vehicles built through January 2000, the Gateway Software did not take in account for the ABS Controller. This fault code should be ignored. New Software was implemented after February 2000 that eliminated this fault code, however the coding should not be changed to add the ABS controller.
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded: Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms
Reduced Functionality
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) active
Possible Causes
Possible Solutions
Special Notes
Some Passat (3B/B5) around MY 2000 have a Firmware Bug which causes this DTC to be set in the CAN Gateway (19). Service Documents for of those Cars indicate that this DTC should be ignored in that Module as long as the Coding matches the Vehicle Equipment.

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded: Mechanical Failure

Possible Causes

Coding Pin/Bridge does not match
Incorrect Control Module Installed

Possible Solutions

Check/Fix Coding Pin/Bridge in Wiring
Check Control Module part numbers

Category: Fault Codes

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brought the car into a VW shop.
They hooked up their scanner. Found CCM to be not programmed correctly.
They programmed it. BUT my sun/moon roof does not operate still.
They think (assume), that the CCM is bad.

Crossing my fingers at this point. :>(

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CCM was out of a Passat. they replaced it, but new one didn'[t fix concern. found out the circuit board in the motor was bad.
\Put old CCM back in, re-reprogrammed it, and all is well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts