NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Is possible to change the transmition 01M to the 09A?
This is for a 1.8T 2002, AWV.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I assume this could be done, BUT, you would likely need wiring harness, transmission controller and the car may need to be recoded???

Not sure if there are other issues as well, but you may also have to change both axle half shafts, trans mount and maybe even cooler lines???

This on top of actually finding a 09A that does not have problems???

Sounds like a lot of work either way?

The question is why?

Might be easier to buy another car??

·
Registered
762 Posts
Anything is possible... we put man on the moon. But cost is an issue real fast.

On top of what jfoj mentioned, the ECM would have to be swapped out as well since ECMs are specific to the type of transmissions. Adding to the fun and games, a 2002 will have an Immobilizer 3 system... which to be honest would be the easiest part of the whole project... but unless you have the means to pull PINs that boat isnt' going to float.:rolleyes:

IMHO, better off doing a manual swap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you all for the reply!

I've been reading in several thread that 01m is not the best transmission that VW made. After several miles will die. My still are working fine, not perfect, but fine, just wondering for the future! Sometimes the transmission take couple of second to move from reverse to D, but when is cold (first time in the morning), works great! Also, when I run the car, works perfect, but driving slow, time to time get confuse between third and four gear.

I totally prefer manual transmission!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts