VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
blue highways
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- I know someone will immediately say I should have changed the fluid (I did this twice but it's been 100k and I'm at ca. 350k now on the gas 2.0).

So- the symptoms:
1- a very intermittent CEL, not on long enough to get a code on the laptop.

2- Car was doing fine but twice now a heavy rainstorm killed its ability to find 4th gear. Last time whatever it was dried out 'okay' in an hour and was back to normal in a day. This time it has been a week and still not finding 4th or, if found, then will buck and not find it on the next drive. (Water was up to hubs in flooding driving in Plymouth, Mass last weekend).

3- I have off-and-on luck with switching between drive, neutral and 3rd. The gear catches solid when it does..really seems more like an electrical issue than worn gearing.

So... another trans wiring harness? (last replaced at 50k, i.e. nearly 300k miles back)- or is there a ground or connector underneath that might be shorting that I can get away with cleaning/replacing just that?
The car will get a new trans if necessary but I'd rather keep this one going

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Get on the TDIClub forum, and send "coolairVW" a PM right away. He's the auto trans expert, and can get you a rebuilt valve body.

·
blue highways
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- will get in touch with him

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Even if the CEL is off, there should be a code stored. Go ahead and scan and see what you come up with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts