NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I have an 02 2.0 Beetle. The battery died and I replaced it yesterday but now, even though everything else works, when I attempt to start the car I get nothing!

There is power but the starter does not turn over. It appears to be a security issue? What is the magical way to reset the system on this car? It is a base model with no remote key. I'm getting frustrated here!

Jeff

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Could the starter be bad? Also have you tried jumping it or checking your connections? Just because you have a "new" battery doesn't mean its good. Sounds like when my battery died. Had all lights but car wouldn't even try to start.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Connections are good. Even checked the starter connections. I will try a jump but not a lot of faith there because it won't even give me a click when I engage the switch.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Is the cable that runs from the battery terminal to the fuse panel on top of the battery secure as well? Do you have a meter to measure the battery voltage with? Maybe the new battery didn't have a full charge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, those connections are secure as well. Tried a jump with the same results. No click, no nothing. I still feel it is a security system issue. Before changing the battery, it would turn over or click as the old battery was dying and would jump off after it was completely dead although it would not crank without a boost. I changed the battery and poof!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
When the immobilizer is activated the engine will start and run for 1 second before shutting off. There is a key-shaped indicator light on the dash that will flash.

Have you double-checked the polarity on the battery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, polarity is correct. It must not be the immobilizer as there has been no start up at all, no turn over of the starter...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Can you check the battery voltage? Also, does everything else work that should when the key is in the run position like the headlights, interior fan, windshield wipers and such. It would be interesting to know the battery voltage with and without the headlights on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts