NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02' 5 speed turbo tends to grind into 2nd gear if I shift above about 4000 rpm. If I shift really slow it's ok but If I shift with even the slightest amount of speed it'll grind then go in. Is this common? My car has under 25k miles on it. Also It only does it when shifting from 1-2 not 3-2.

Thanks
Jay

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Mine did this going into 4th for a while, and then it stopped. I think it was me not pushing the cluth out enough, trying to speedshift. You can have the dealer check it, but it will take weeks and likely an uphill battle.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
First I would check your motor mounts. If any of them are going soft then it can cause shifting problems as the motor/tranny will be flexing or rocking too much under load. The main one that tends to go out first is the dogbone mount on the bottom. A quick fix, if this is the case, is replacing the bushings or the whole mount. I had a similar problem shifting from 1-2. I solved mine by getting the AutoTech dogbone bushings. They are about $50 and takes about 15-25 mins to swap out. Another way is somthing like the vf-engineering mount which replaces the whole mount and takes about 10 mins to swap but costs around $150 but may be to harsh for your driving tastes.

Another reason, worse case, could be the 2nd gear syncro is bad which would effect 1-2 and not 3-2. You would most likely need to go to the dealership for this and hopefully you still have warranty to help.

Where are you at? If you are near I could take a look and help try and figure out the problem.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm the second owner, I got this car off of a lot. It only has 24K on it and I'm thinking it's a syncro problem. I'd like to do the TDI 5th gear swap anyway if I have to fix it. Anyone with any info on the 5th gear swap would help me. Whats the dealer warrenty like on the NB?
Thanks
Jay

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
also someone correct me if im wrong but this has worked on past trans that i have had that had grinding issues

switching out the fluid thats in the tranny for GM's syncromesh will help it out some..granted you are going to want to stop with the speed shifting going from 1st to second but that just seems logical IMO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts