VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my story driving 65 on the highway all of a sudden no gas pedal. It is 02 1.8t 5 spd, was able to down shift and coast to the side of the road. The EPC light and ASR along with CEL all came on, when I stopped turned car off, smelled gas, but it wouldn't start. Waited about 10 mins tried to start again and nothing the starter just sounds like and electric engine or fan noise. Was towed home and ran codes and got P0011 (camshaft sensor). Googled the issue and not sure where to go from here. I checked the timing belt and it is intact. Help!!:(

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16395/P0011/000017

I would start with some basics:

1. check the timing marks and see if they are all in time; possible timing belt or component failure (worst case scenario bent valves). Any teeth missing, belt loose, hydraulic tensioner leaking or idler pulleys bad/seized? When the valves are bent; there is no compression and your starter/engine will sound weird, turns faster and the engine won't start.

Timing belt checking and alignment info:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Turbo S L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP) (2002) > Engine, Cooling and Exhaust > Engine > Timing Components > Timing Belt > Component Information > Service and Repair > Procedures > Page 1557

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...nt_information/service_and_repair/procedures/

2. check cam position sensor; we have had some members that they have broken inside. Testing and inspection info:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Turbo S L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP) (2002) > Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems > Camshaft Position Sensor > Component Informati

Check those things out and we will go from there.

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Fuse Block! :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuse block as in what sits on top of the battery? If so it is fine nothing is melted and all fuses are good.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
16395/P0011/000017
Contents [hide]
1 16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
1.1 Possible Symptoms
1.2 Possible Causes
1.3 Possible Solutions
1.4 Special Notes
16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

Possible Symptoms
Power Loss
Possible Causes
Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.

Possible Solutions
Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
Check Mechanical Timing
Special Notes
When found in Engine: 4.0l W8
Check TPL 2010059(RoW)
Check/Replace Oil Sieve in Timing Case (Camshaft Adjuster)

Test the Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205):

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=fP16Jrk7DBE4fPqGnBn0fA&bvm=bv.96952980,d.b2w

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i bumped the ignition over while some one watched with the TB over off the serpentine belt will move but not the timing belt, upon further inspection, I found on the front side of engine right after timing belt passes the camshaft a few of the ribs on the back side of TB are sheared off. I am thinking its toast?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, it sounds like the timing belt is damaged; are the timing marks off? You could replace the timing belt and test the compression, to see if the valves are bent. While you are in there; I would see if any of the timing belt path components are bad; water pump (seized?), hydraulic tensioner (leaking?), idler pulleys (seized?) etc. A full timing belt and waterpump kit install; is the way to go. You need to diagnose the problem and see how much damage there is (head/valves etc.) and decide what you want to do with the car. If you are going to keep it and cost is not a factor; see if the valves are still good, by doing a compression test. If there is no compression; the head needs to come off and be rebuilt/repaired.

For the timing belt kit; check out the excellent quality kits from: www.blauparts.com

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice, what are the odds of no damage being done to the heads? Also it is a AVW engine and if I were to purchase a rebuilt head does it also have to be AVW? I am very irritated I just bought the car and two days later I had to replace the clutch and some other little things to get him back up and going. Over the last few months I had several dash lights on was able to get all of them off through searching forums and fixing them myself, but I think this job is a little beyond me.
As to your question about timing marks I am not sure I was irritated when I found the ribs sheared off, and everything I have read on here points to bent valves and such. My boyfriend wants me to let him go and invest in a TDI, as he has all diesel vehicles and thinks it is the way to go for longevity. So I may be listing my 02 Beetle sport for sale as is?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, to evaluate; your situation, you need to confirm whether or not the valves are bent. You can check the timing marks and see if they are in time and all align. If they are ok; then, hopefully your valves aren't bent.

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Turbo S L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP) (2002) > Maintenance > Timing Belt > Component Information > Service and Repair > Procedures > Page 994

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle Turbo S L4-1.8L Turbo (AWP) (2002) > Maintenance > Timing Belt > Component Information > Service and Repair > Procedures

You will not know if the valves are bent; until you do a compression test. If there isn't any compression; the valves are bent, if you have good compression, you are ok. I would not want to test the car with a failed timing belt and increase the possibility, of bending the valves by having the belt slip/jump time, because the teeth on the belt are bad/sheared off. As I noted before; other things in the timing belt path; maybe have seized, causing the teeth to get sheared off (tensioner, waterpump, idler pulleys etc).

So, I would figure out; what the damage and problems are, before selling the car. If you are lucky; you might just need to put in a new timing belt and waterpump kit in, the parts aren't too expensive and free labor, if you install it yourself.

Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts®

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
The 1.8T is an interference engine so damage is certainly a big possibility.

A TDI will definitely last awhile, but you need to keep up with maintenance. The timing belt is a big deal on those, as well as the 1.8T you have now. I'd see about fixing what you have and go from there. You could end up buying a TDI and needing to swap out the belt right away anyway (many people sell them near the time of that service, or there are no records of it being done, etc.). So putting a little more money into what you have and getting it to a good state is what I would do, personally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I completely understand, when I get my new TDI the first thing I am going to do is TB. I havent completely ruled out fixing mine just yet. I love my "George" and I am really just kicking myself in the butt because we thought about changing the TB on him once we finally got him running I have only been able to drive him for 2 months after replacing the clutch, clutch master and slave. I am very frustrated with the whole situation.
My question is I have read the TB process and am a little hesitant it looks confusing or am I reading to far into it. I will be working on this car myself with maybe some help from my BF but he travels alot so that could be an issue. In order to check the timing does the belt need to come off? And since I know the belt is shot can I just cut it off?
Thanks for any input.

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I don't know that it would make a huge difference either way if the timing is shot, but I would still probably remove it using the tension pulley. Try looking on youtube for videos, there's a lot of TB change videos, even if they're not for a NB it will help give you an idea of what needs to be done.

I know what you mean about not getting things done, when you're doing repairs that take a big chunk of your money it's easy to want to let ones that seem "ok for now" to slide while you recover a little.

I haven't done a TB personally because I read too much into it and am slightly afraid. I'm sure it can't be that bad and everybody had their first at some point. It might be a little more difficult in your situation if timing is out and if there is other damage, but as long as you follow the procedures I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts