VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and am currently looking to buy a 02 Beetle w/70k on the clock. Car has the 2.0 motor and standard trans.

I was pretty gung ho on the car at first till I read some user feedback on Edmunds.

My questiona are:
When do you replace the timing belt and how much would it cost at a dealer. Or could I do it at home?

Clucth, when do they usually wear out and again what would the cost be to have it replaced. Just from looking at the car I suspect that the motor has to be pulled (like the old airhead ) I had years ago.

Any other weak points I should know about the 02 2.0 L model?

Thanks for any and all info,

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
timing belt/ water pump

I have the 1.8T manual 5 speed and the timing belt water pump should be done around 80-90k miles. You can do it yourself just buy the parts online and save $$ there a several diy threads in here that show you step by step with pictures and all. I would suggest the timing belt/water pump kit from MJM autohaus( good german parts). I don't know about the clutch as I still have not done mine and i already have 173k miles. I plan on doing the clutch even if it needs it or not this coming fall season. There is also a diy on the clutch. Good luck man and welcome to the newbeetle.org forum :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Any more from anyone else welcome. As I mentioned I thought that the 2.0 L non turbo would be a good choice untill I read the reviews on Edmunds. It seemed that there are a lot of issues with the 2002 models and perhaps others.

I have the 1.8T manual 5 speed and the timing belt water pump should be done around 80-90k miles. You can do it yourself just buy the parts online and save $$ there a several diy threads in here that show you step by step with pictures and all. I would suggest the timing belt/water pump kit from MJM autohaus( good german parts). I don't know about the clutch as I still have not done mine and i already have 173k miles. I plan on doing the clutch even if it needs it or not this coming fall season. There is also a diy on the clutch. Good luck man and welcome to the newbeetle.org forum :)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,236 Posts
I would actually look at getting the timing belt done soon if you get the car. Most do the job every 60-80k or 5-6 years. The belt is a piece of rubber than can deteriorate and you also have to worry about the tensioners, water pump, etc.

I had a '99 in the same combination and loved the car. Original clutch at 102k and was still going strong. No need to take the engine out to do the job AFAIK. I'd say drive it and see how you like it. The 2.0 5-speed combo is about as bulletproof of a NB as you'll get. Much cheaper and easier to maintain too.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts