VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 GLS 2.0 liter that's had some issues over the years, but this time I don't know if what exactly is needed. A few months ago it just died in the middle of traffic. Finally got it going again and took it into the VW dealer and they said they weren't sure but they could replace the plugs, wiring, etc. and it would cost me about $1000 dollars. I didn't have that much money on me at the time, and they had it running, so I took it home.

Ran fine for about a couple of weeks and then it died in traffic again. It would crank but never catch and start. Had it towed home where it's sat in my driveway for quite a while. Battery is obviously flat at this point, to be expected. Took a look today since I have the time and noticed some corrosion around a hose. Seems as if it is coming off of the radiator, some little piece with what looks like an X on top of the plastic.

Not sure where to start. If anyone can point me to a thread or at least a picture of the engine bay so I can get an idea of what exactly I'm looking for I'd be greatly appreciative. As it stands right now I'm not sure whether to pour more money into the car or if I should just sell it.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Is the check engine light on? You should get it scanned for codes because sometimes there can be codes even without the check engine light.

Was the engine running normally before the stalling? Was the idle smooth and amount of power normal?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No CEL when it was running. Seemed fine and then it just died.

Looking at it now I've discovered that one of the bolts that hold the coil into place wasn't fastened down. It wasn't flush to the coil and I could turn it by hand. Don't know if that would be enough to cause the issue, but I'm not certain as I can move the coil back and forth slightly with my hand.

Battery's disconnected now, and flat.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Suggestion of $1000 in parts and they don't really know what the problem is? I would stay away from that dealer's service department!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Battery is obviously flat at this point, to be expected.
Don't let that battery sit "flat" for any length of time. This is generally bad for car batteries. I have a cheap 1A automatic "float" charger at home I use in situations like this. Its main use is to keep a battery that's sitting "idle" from dying.

Before doing anything else, I'd take the battery out and have it charged and tested at an auto parts store. You won't be able to do anything with your car if it's got a dead battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts