VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here, been lurking for a few weeks...

Just last week got a 02' beetle turbo with 113,000 miles for my daughter and all was well till yesterday...

Got a knocking sound coming from the serpentine belt area... So far replaced the tensioner, alternator pulley and still have the knock... If I remove the serpentine belt sound goes away... So I am left with the power steering pump or the AC compressor...

If I turn on the AC the sound stays the same but if I turn the steering wheel to lock the sound goes away... Also noticed that the pulley on the power steering has some wobble and with the belt off it has a little side to side play on the shaft, it seems to spin free with a slight pluse feeling from pumping I assume...

Going to try and post a short video of the sound...

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!!

https://vimeo.com/136365242

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Looks and sounds; like the power steering pump, to me! OUCH! :mad:

Autozone is about $100; would kinda be nice to confirm the issue, if you had a used one to try out. Maybe remove it and inspect it closer, seems to me the "play" is pretty obvious, that is the culprit.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Pulley is wobbling, sounds like the front bearing is bad and/or maybe the shaft has broken, this happens on the BMW pumps from time to time.

Also look at the belt tensioner, it should be almost stationary, if it is walking back and forth at idle, the alternator overdrive pulley may be locked up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!

I replaced the power steering pump this morning and that took care of the problem! While I was In there I flushed the system with new expensive PS fluid. (Damm that VW special fluid is $$$ compared to normal stuff!!) Never heard a pump make a noise like that before but that fixed it thankfully.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea that's the stuff I bought, I got it from the local auto shop for about $25 qt. that's a lot more then the regular gm/ford stuff.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Most of the time; we need things right away but if you have time Amazon has things like this at great prices and free shipping. Fluids and parts for euro cars can get expensive; always check online if you have the time.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts