NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When there is a leak at the water pump isn't it usually a slow leak? My question is mine I can fill the reservoir and within 2-4 min it's completely poured out. Is there anything else up in there that can leak that fast. Car is an 2002 2.0L. Thanks for any help I need to get this figured out and get my car back running

·
Registered
14,060 Posts
Generally with water pumps; how fast it leaks out of the weep hole, depends on how worn the water pump is. When the bearing gets worn to a certain point; it will start leaking and when really gets worn out; it will continue to flow out of the hole continuously. If you're trying to determine where it's leaking out of; I would pressure test the cooling system; you can buy a tool that will do this from places like Harbor freight (the HF kit; comes with a adapter that works with the New Beetle). Pressure testing the system; will make pin pointing the leak, obvious! I always; pressure test my cooling system for leaks, after I work on the cooling system and this confirms, everything is fully sealed after the repairs are compelete.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258

http://www.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I'll look into that thanks. Its also not starting now with the epc light on. Just keeps cranking even with trying to jump it. I replaced a leaky coolant flange last week and now this urrr.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
How many miles on the car? Has the timing belt/water pump ever been done?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's got 145,000 I bought it from a lot. No service records. So I'm gonna change the belt and all now as well

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started digging into this while I'm waiting to get parts and noticed when the water is poured in it is leaking from behind the timing belt tensioner pulley??? Is this a head gasket issue I have no other signs of failure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts