VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Very new to VW and the beetle as well. Bear with me here PLEASE!

Very long story short, I purchased my neighbors 02' Turbo S NewBeetle this winter with the knowledge that the clutch is beginning to fail and that it need's a little tlc.

I am having a difficult time determining what to do as far as who I should purchase a clutch from and what style. Car is a 6 speed if that helps.

Goals for the car are:
-3" down pipe to 2.5" stainless turboback
-Upgrade the Diverter Valve(again no clue who I should go through for this as well)
-Tune

This isn't my first clutch swap or my first time working on a car. That being said I'm a VW/NewBettle GREENHORN.

With that being said I would like a direction to go in clutch wise that will support those modifications that is still streetable as this was bought with the intentions of being my daily.
Any help, hints, things to look out for, and directions to go in would be immensely appreciated.
I own a lift, I have a mechanical backround, and have more than enough tools to support the work required. Just need advice and valid opinions if you'd all be as so kind.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOOK, No one on here seemed to be of assistance, found the knowledge and help I needed on another vw forum.

Trans is an 02M Shared with the 337, 20AE, GLI 1.8T & 24V, Most TT's, R32's and the Beetle Turbo S.

Clutch Kit's can be found blackforest, clutchmasters, ECS, and a few other places. 240mm, 6 speed, and 02M are the main things to confirm on the clutches kit conversion info.

I'm posting this information to educate someone else further down the line that may run into my predicament with a Turbo S NB.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Welcome to the club. I too have a turbo-s. 2004 model. I haven't had to go down the clutch road yet but I'm right at 100,000 so it probably won't be to long. My advise to you is to do all the research you can before buying a clutch. Many people say to dump the dual mass setup but I've also read to stay away from light weight flywheels in this transmission.. This tranny seems to have its share of problems. My shift weight wore out and I did install a short shifter kit from dieselgeeks.com which I love. If your tranny has this awful grinding noise when you decelerate then there is a shim that needs to be installed on one of the output shafts. Haven't done it to mine yet but I did order the parts earlier this week. Let us all know what route you choose on your clutch. At least me anyway. My car is stock but I plan to do like you and make a few engine modifications.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts