NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for the long post. But I have some concerns and questions. Before I begin I also apologize if this is the wrong section.

I bought a 2002 VW Beetle Turbo S in Feb. Paid cash for car. Great! Car had 124,000 miles and all general maintenance had been done up to that point including timing at 97 thousand. Sporty car. Absolutely love it. That however, isnt my issue.

Trouble started for me about a week ago. Was driving along, Slowed down to allow car to make turn in front of me and dropped into lower gear. Went to engage clutch again and it went straight to the floor. Was able to drive about a mile before clutch went to floor and wouldn't come back out. Called tow truck and it was towed to Aamco. (please dont bash me, I understand their mark up and limited knowledge of VW or at least I do now) Moving on...
Aamco determined that the pressure plate had collapsed hitting the flywheel, thus causing damage. So they installed new clutch kit and flywheel. 5 hours of labor to the tune of 1,160 dollars. Fast forward to Monday, this week 6 days after getting it back. I go to start car and car will turn over but will not start. I open hood and battery is covered by pieces of plastic and fuse box or what I think is the fuse box. My fault again for not checking this before I left shop. But I know for certain it wasn't like this when I took it to them. I snapped a few pictures and I call Aamco. They tow it back and give it the once over, nothing they installed seems to be the problem according to them and tell me the codes they are getting for errors is way out of their league apparently and offer to have it towed to VW across the street. Didnt offer to give codes only stating two of the 6 codes were for the key. OK....so I jump on newbeetle and a couple other forums and start reading. I was going to be armed with something when dealing with VW dealership. So I came to the conclusion that it could be the immobilizer or the key or perhaps the battery. I did have the light on that had the bug with key in it, on dashboard. Aamco allowed battery to die and in attempt to charge battery messed up the codes for the key and what not. Would make sense right?
Today,
I talk to VW. At first he thought same as I did, sounds about right. Its throwing codes for key but they werent finished running the tests so he would let me know. About an hr ago I get the phone call and the run down.

Battery is done. Not throwing the proper voltage and needs replaced. 195.00 with labor
Transmission bolts T-bolt I think he said that holds the center of trans was sheered off. WTH? Have no idea how that happened unless Aamco didnt put the trans back correctly during clutch repair? 225.00 with labor
Timing needs adjustment cause check engine light. 365.00 with labor
There is a valve in my turbo that is broken, I didnt quite understand what he called it but could be another source of check engine light. 108.00 with labor
and last but not least the CV Boot on the right front is broken and needs replaced 212.00 with labor. Not related to problem but something that cant really be put off.

In total I'm looking at 1,180 dollars. 20 dollars less than clutch repair made last week. Now...I understand the whole buying a used car, something is going to break eventually and things will need repaired. Totally understand. But it is common for one thing to trigger a domino effect? The car ran brilliantly before any of this. And after its visit to Aamco its went down hill and to a very expensive tune. I know going to a dealer is expensive and this probably sounds about right. I'm not looking to blame anyone but is it possible it could be something Aamco did wrong? Again I'm not pointing fingers and any advice or comment is welcome. I'm a newbie to this car and although my prior research gave me some knowledge. I'm afraid I wasnt prepared for this.

I will update on exact parts if need be, tomorrow when I go in to look at estimate. I needed that vent and appreciate all who read it and offer a little insight.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The CV boot on the right side is NORMAL, they only last about 50k miles.

You can wait on this, I would not pay $212 for a boot. I would replace the entire axle shaft. Wholesale reman from VW is about $275? You can also check with Raxles, America's premier supplier of OE quality CV Axles and CV joints - Raxles Inc. as well.

As for the timing, maybe someone put a timing belt on and it is off a tooth. I would wait and get this double checked.

I would ask for pictures or a better explanation of the bolts. Maybe dog bone bolts? Many motor mounting bolts are stretch/one time use bolts that should likely have been replaced.

Many times a bad battery can cause the immobilizer to loose sync and be an issue. That is why you should never let the battery go low in these cars.

Pay for the battery, bolts and get the car running, then deal with the other things when you get a chance.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would get this car away from the dealer and to an independent vw shop. The dealer is really over charging and may not be diagnosing properly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts