NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Turbo Sport. 1.8 Turbo engine. Wife was driving home when the car just stopped running. When trying to start the car now, the starter will spin but not engage. The car will not attempt to turn over.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,923 Posts
How many miles on the car? Have you checked the timing belt?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,923 Posts
That would be where I would start. Do you know if there were any noises when the car stopped?

Another thought is the alternator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked timing belt...looks to be in good shape. Has not slipped. Wife said the car did not make any noise when it shut off.

·
Registered
668 Posts
there is a small amount of play in the timing belt, but not excessive.
Hate to sound negative but it could still be the t-belt, could have stripped the teeth off of the belt at the crank.For your sake would hope this is not the issue. Take the cover off at the top and try to start it see if the belt moves.If not most likely the timing belt failed, and when a timing belt breaks or whatever it can give you the impression the starter isnt engaging.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,923 Posts
If it is the timing belt, trying to start it will only cause more damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah...looked at it more today in the daylight. crank is spinning, but the belt is just skipping on the pully. going to call my mechanic and keep my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
note to self:'wife is no longer allowed to drive GLX'
Not to worry, sounds as if NO ONE will be driving it until you lay out a couple thousand. Betting an engine rebuild is in your future. But really, blaming her?

The TB is a real issue that it seems no one wants to deal with. Way past due for being changed, and if the belt was inspected and checked during regular maintenance schedule as it should have been, you probably would not be faced with this major expense. Many seem to want to test this procedure needing to be done.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I was talking about "MY" GLX - I would snap if it happened to my car and I just got it
Yeah, I see now that your not the OP! :D Wasn't paying close attention, and it seemed to be a comment someone in this situation might make. Sorry.

Hopefully you have a better insight into scheduled maintenance than that poor guy! ;)

M.

·
2,646 Posts
C'mon. This is a new member, don't kick the guy when he's down. How's he supposed to know? VW/his manual says different from what we know.

To the OP: The timing belt, tensioner and waterpump needs to be changed every 60K on the 1.8T to avoid what you are facing now. There WILL be bent valves, your head will have to come off and be rebuilt--there is no way around it. Hopefully none of the pistons were damaged too badly. There's a guy in MO, I believe it's "Frank's TDI" who will do excellent work on the head--someone please chime in give the contact info?

DO NOT let the local machine shop that rebuilds V8 heads rebuild this one--if they "resurface" it to flatten the mating surface it will be ruined since the cams ride in their saddles without bearings. This head is far different from what they are used to...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Wasn't trying to kick the guy when he's down. (Btw, you have given him excellent information). Just trying to impress upon everyone the need for timely scheduled maintenance.

Simply don't understand people. An automobile, at least most, and for most of us, represent a substantial financial investment. I buy lots of used vehicles, and drive lots of miles. Even when I buy a brand/model that I consider myself quite knowledgeable in, the first thing I do is get it to a Dealer, have the oil changed, and pay for an inspection comparable to the one they do for their own incoming used vehicles that they put out as CPOs. I request a recall check, try to obtain any other available service records, and then ask very specifically if there are ANY future service issues which I need to be aware of requiring my attention, now or in the future. Then, if I don't have an OM, I get one, and read it from cover to cover, paying particular attention to the maintenance schedule.

While I agree it has been determined that the TB replacement schedule for the 1.8T isn't right in the manual, a check of the belt IS shown at 60k miles. Certainly anyone capable of performing this check (a little more involved than an eyeball) is aware of the revised replacement schedule and would make an Owner aware. Ditto the need to replace the WP.

Too many ppl, who spend their hard earned money to drive a nice vehicle, have the attitude that IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

M.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If it is the timing belt, trying to start it will only cause more damage.
If the timing belt had already failed it is most likely you are not going to incur anymore damage than what has already taken place. If the valves are already bent spinning the engine over is not going to bend them more, if the pistons already have holes knocked in them spinning the engine over isn't going to increase the size of the holes. Most likely if the car was being driven at the time of t-belt failure there was catastrophic damage at that point, spinning the engine over at this point is not going to increase it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts