NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 VW New Beetle with a bad 02M 6spd transmission. What other vehicles use them or what other Trans. will swap with out a whole lot of configuring. I was thinking of doing the valve body but I'm not sure what damage is done internally, any help would be greatly appreciated. If any body has one that needs a low mileage 01 TDI engine I can work out a deal.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Just an FYI, the 02M is the 6 -speed manual. I believe the 6-speed auto is the 09G or something like that.

Swapping to a manual isn't a bad idea if you are open to the idea. Costs less than a new auto in most cases and will last a lot longer with less maintenance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many miles on your 2003??

Have you pulled the pan and inspected the magnets??
Yes I pulled the pan. The magnets had a thick film of soft metallic residue almost powder like I didn't find any chunks. The filter seemed gummed. The car has 117K. Now I'm confused on the Trans. code. I read 02M2T on the housing but I'm told it's an 09G. Am I reading the right stamps?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Likely an O9G as I believe this is what my 2003 1.8t GLX vert has in it.

Valve bodies are crap and do not last over 75k miles without wearing out and shifting hard.

If you catch it in time you can have the valve body reworked and save the transmission.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts