NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.0 liter 2003 new beetle convertible 5spd with 90,000 miles on it. Last July it began to have problems not starting. VW mechanics and other imported car mechanics have no clue what is wrong with it.
We have replaced the fuel filter and pump and it ran fine for a while then started not starting again. It's been doing this for the past year and seems to not start more when it is extremely hot out.

CELs for "fuel injector circuit low" for all four cylinders continue to come up. Since the pump and filter was replaced could this mean that the injectors are going bad or they are not getting power? Fuel pump relay is working.

The cat was replaced after an emissions code kept coming up. The O2 sensors checked out fine.

·
Super smart senior member
857 Posts
I have a 2.0 liter 2003 new beetle convertible 5spd with 90,000 miles on it. Last July it began to have problems not starting. VW mechanics and other imported car mechanics have no clue what is wrong with it.
We have replaced the fuel filter and pump and it ran fine for a while then started not starting again. It's been doing this for the past year and seems to not start more when it is extremely hot out.

CELs for "fuel injector circuit low" for all four cylinders continue to come up. Since the pump and filter was replaced could this mean that the injectors are going bad or they are not getting power? Fuel pump relay is working.

The cat was replaced after an emissions code kept coming up. The O2 sensors checked out fine.

I would tackle the o2 sensors even if they check out they can be problematic when they are cold. You might also want to check your evap purge valve, cheap and easy fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I will look into that. Today I drove it to work and it sat for 5 hours. It would not start so I left it and went back 6 hours later. It started up. Stopped to get gas and with a new full tank it would not start. We even hooked the battery up to my brother's Malibu and that would not start it. Left it alone for 10 minutes and it started right up. It's just so sporadic we don't know what to think.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Fuel pump relay?

·
Registered
85 Posts
okay....won't CRANK or wont FIRE ?

crank = the starter turns the engine, the cylinders don't fire

fire = bang bang, the miracle of internal combustion occurs.

if it doesn't crank....i'd be checking the battery, fusible links on top of the battery box, the starter adn the starter connections...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The starter and battery are fine. Just won't fire. Didn't start at work 2 hours ago. Took the fuel cap off like my dad suggested and it started. Very confused.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

UPDATE...the problem was that my fuel pump relay was loose or had a bad connection. We cleaned it and tweaked the prongs and it worked great. No problems and the fuel pump was easy to hear when it primed. Became loose again the other day and would not start. Took panel off and cleaned and tweaked again. Prongs were blackish possibly from arcing a connection. Running fine at the moment.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
UPDATE...the problem was that my fuel pump relay was loose or had a bad connection. We cleaned it and tweaked the prongs and it worked great. No problems and the fuel pump was easy to hear when it primed. Became loose again the other day and would not start. Took panel off and cleaned and tweaked again. Prongs were blackish possibly from arcing a connection. Running fine at the moment.
Try a little di-electric grease the next time you're in there.

M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts