NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Beetle Convertible was wondering if anybody has had the problem with the shift pattern in the odometer window "P R D S", highlights around the letters and stops showing the gear that it's in? I have no other problems with it and when I shut the car off and restart it the shift indicator starts working again and shows the gear that it's shifting to. Only to do it again later.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
That is the indicator that the transmission has detected a problem and gone into limp mode. The 4-speed autos have lots of problems with the valve bodies and the wiring that is inside the transmission pan.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
All the VW transmissons have valve body issues, some have valve body and valve body wiring harness issues as well.

What transmission/how many speeds does your car have, 4, 5 or 6??

How many miles are currently on your car?

Shift indicator with [D]/[ ] around all the letters means there is an error in the transmission.

You need to get the codes read and it will likely have transmission codes that may give a bit more insight.

You need to purchase a scan tool if you plan on keeping the car anyway.

See this link - http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...d-scan-tools-software-options.html#post837491

Likely your car has 70+k miles on the car and your valve body/solenoids are problematic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts