NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I just recently purchased an 03 New Beetle for my stepson. It seems there are a few tiny problems with the car, of which I new before we purchased and mostly cosmetic actually. 100k on the engine, manual and drives great.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Pics! Details! We need to know! :lol:

Good choice for your stepson. The New Beetle is very highly safety rated. :bigthumb:

Not only that, it's so much fun! :D

Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, I have some photos I believe.
Right to left: Me(Ernie), my wife and fugitive friend on left.
last one and this one were taken on Seahawks party bus trip from Portland to Seattle to watch them pound the Jets
My semi-finished mancave, ready for hockey to start though
And my sense of humor (SF Giant's fan I am)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Welcome to the org. Great choice of car there. This is a great place full of great people that are always willing to share their knowledge. Hope he enjoys his new car as much as the rest of us enjoy ours :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I've driven it a few times and it's pretty fun. It has some get-up-and-go. It's a 2003 GLS, 5sp manual, leather and all that cool stuff. Is it me or are all the manuals 1st gear a granny gear? I've just went into 2nd from a stop and feels much smoother. Maybe it's from previous owners habits as to why it's that way.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Welcome to the ORG :)

What engine does the Beetle have? At 100k miles it is overdue for the timing belt and water pump service. Since it is an interference engine it is important to get this service taken care of ASAP.
What do you mean by first gear being a :Granny: gear? Usually it zips right along and I couldn't live without first gear. 2nd is definitely stronger but without first it would be sluggish off the line.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
What do you mean by first gear being a :Granny: gear?
Granny gear is a old saying that goes back a ways. In a lot of old trucks and Jeeps the first gear was a super low ratio for off-road or getting a heavy load moving while towing. They were a true 4spd, but most the time you would only use 2 thru 4th in normal everyday driving conditions. Hence, the term Granny gear.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Granny gear is a old saying that goes back a ways. In a lot of old trucks and Jeeps the first gear was a super low ratio for off-road or getting a heavy load moving while towing. They were a true 4spd, but most the time you would only use 2 thru 4th in normal everyday driving conditions. Hence, the term Granny gear.
Interesting. That must have been before my time. You learn something new every day. ;)

The Beetle's first gear is definitely Not a Granny gear.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
If it is a GLS I am going to guess it is a turbo, the turbos spool quick which can make 1st gear short lived.

Good to see a another Seachickens fan on here. They should have won that game, if only they had wasted another 10 seconds prior to the kick, argggghhh!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
I spy an Oregon plate! WHERE ARE YOU????? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Oh, I hope so!!!!! :party:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If it is a GLS I am going to guess it is a turbo, the turbos spool quick which can make 1st gear short lived.

Good to see a another Seachickens fan on here. They should have won that game, if only they had wasted another 10 seconds prior to the kick, argggghhh!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
A GLS isn't necessarily a 1.8 Turbo. The GLX was the Turbo only version. The GLS came in both 2.0 and 1.8 versions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts