NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got a used 03 New Beetle Convertible. I need help unlocking the center console/arm rest. Any suggestions without me popping this sucker open with a screwdriver? :p

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I would not go "popping" the lock with anything. You will do irrepairable damage, to a very expensive console. If memory serves, you have a key lock in the '03. That was either deleted with or during the '04. My '05 is non'lockable. Do you not have the key? The same one that unlocks the door and starts the ignition? Was does the previous owner say? Dismantling the console may be a far better solution than forcing the lid open to access the lock cylinder from underneath and pulling it out. I will have a look at mine when the car returns and see if maybe the lid only can be cut in half with a hack saw or something (sliding something between the two, to protect the console base). The lid will be far cheaper to replace than whatever you break forcing it open. Once the lid is off, you will have access to remove the lock from above.

MORAV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts