NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
swordsman7072
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few months the shifter has stuck in park and with a little extra effort has easily shifted into R or D....yesterday it would not come out of park...it didn't feel like a trans problem more like linkage...after a few tries this morning, it shifted into all the gears outside of park with ease. I think it may have something to do with the brake releasing the shifter linkage...I took a look under the detent cover and the button is pushing the little knob clear of the detents in the console. Anyone know if there is an adjustment and where I can find out where and how to do this???
thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
A very common problem with these cars is the actual brake light switch. I know for a fact that many/if not all of the 2003 models were recalled specifically for this problem with the brake light switch. I think the recall was a safety issue and the transmission interlock was a secondary problem.

Not sure about the 2004 if they were recalled for the same reason, but recalled or not you may have the same problem.

The shifter does have an interlock for both Park and Neutral. On my car there is a small yellow light next to both Park and Neutral that should turn off one the interlock has been released, but I know on my car the Park light is intermittent and you usually have to pull the shifter toward the driver to get the interlock light to come on.

I can actually hear the shift interlock release on my car when the brakes are applied.

Easy thing to do is next time it happens, if you can find someone to look at the rear of the car and see if the brake lights are on or if you can see a reflection of brake lights it could be helpful.

Might just want to check with the dealer to see if there is an open recall on your car for a brake light switch, if not, order a new switch or pick one up and just replace it as a matter of course.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts