VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought an 04 TDI yesterday and the former owner said that they the trans was going bad. It came with all of the service records for the 5 years. The owner said he had a friend look at and said there were some codes in the memory and he reset them and the trans shifted fine for about 8 weeks and it started shifting erratic again. My first thought was the valve body going bad but my son has VAGCOM and he scanned it. It came up with a code that said "transmission speed sensor faulty". Can that cause erratic shifts if it is not sending the right signal to the ECM? Any thoughts?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts
What is the code number that was thrown?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get my son to scan it again in the am and will post tomorrow.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what came up on the VAGCOM:
17100 transmission speed sensor intermittent failure
P0716

·
5/23/10 <3
11,415 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is in the trans shop getting the transmission input speed sensor changed out and a filter and fluid change. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Have my fingers crossed. Don't have 3 to 4 grand for a reman right now.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Hopefully the input speed sensor will help, BUT, it is a VW automatic transmission, so I expect that once the weather/trans warms you may see erratic/harsh 1-2, 2-3 or 4-3, 3-2 shifting which will be the valve body.

Valve body overhaul should be less than $1200, somebody here had a shop do the job for $150 labor, they sent the valve body out and purchases fluid and filter so I think they were around $900 give or take a bit??

Good luck, if you have issues when the fluid is warm, address it sooner than later.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hopefully the input speed sensor will help, BUT, it is a VW automatic transmission, so I expect that once the weather/trans warms you may see erratic/harsh 1-2, 2-3 or 4-3, 3-2 shifting which will be the valve body.

Valve body overhaul should be less than $1200, somebody here had a shop do the job for $150 labor, they sent the valve body out and purchases fluid and filter so I think they were around $900 give or take a bit??

Good luck, if you have issues when the fluid is warm, address it sooner than later.
The 6sp isn't as bad as the old 4sp for that isn't it? I thought most of the people with issues were driving older models with the 4sp auto.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
All VW automatics from about 1998 to 2010 are questionable. The 6 speeds even had an extended warranty on the valve body after the fact for 7 year/100k miles. So I think the fact VW extended the warranty says a lot about the problems!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stopped by the trans shop on the way home and was told that the fluid was pretty bad (148k)and when the tech drove the car with a scanner hooked up he said that the input signal was in and out and there was a pressure code. He said it could be the valve body but he was going to take it out and see if everything was ok in trans. I find it odd that it works right when it is cold, acts up as it warms up and the works fairly well when hot. There is no slippage when it is shifting right. Does this sound like a valve body or stopped up filter? Also where can you get a mechtronic valve body and how much will it cost?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Stopped by the trans shop on the way home and was told that the fluid was pretty bad (148k)and when the tech drove the car with a scanner hooked up he said that the input signal was in and out and there was a pressure code. He said it could be the valve body but he was going to take it out and see if everything was ok in trans. I find it odd that it works right when it is cold, acts up as it warms up and the works fairly well when hot. There is no slippage when it is shifting right. Does this sound like a valve body or stopped up filter? Also where can you get a mechtronic valve body and how much will it cost?
Based upon the 6 speed Tiptronic in my 2003 1.8t, purchased new, the trans lasted about 60k miles before problems started to surface, made it to around 70k miles when the trans fluid was hot the downshift at times was very harsh and would try to rip the engine and trans out of the car.

Cold it was a bit late and harsh shifting but nowhere near as bad when the fluid became really warm from a lot of stop and go traffic.

Never really any slippage in my trans.

So I heard there were transmission software updates, but you cannot put a software solution in for a hardware problem and have it work!! I think VW was just trying to get all of these trans out of the warranty window?

Anyway, decided to drop my pan for inspection. Overall things looked pretty good, some metal in the pan and on magnets, but was light along with some clutch debris and normal clouding of the pan surface. Looked good for trans with 70k on the clock and nothing unexpected. So I decided to pull the valve body and sent it out for an overhaul.

They rework the solenoids, ream out some of the spool valve bores and put over sized spool valves in the reamed ports.

So if it was my car, likely would drain the fluid into a clean container, drop the pan and inspect, take pictures if you want feedback. Be careful as the famous trick from many shops is to tell you and show you that there is metal in a trans pan. Metal is NORMAL for a higher mileage trans, but it is the amount of metal that you have to question. If the magnets look like Chia Pets, then you have issue.

FYI, my car was a daily commuter in a major metro area, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift. I am guessing the car shifted over 2000 shifts a day, much different than getting on to the highway and cruising, so my 70k city trans could be someones 110k highway trans.

Valve body rework at a shop would probably cost about $750 on the low side, $1100 on the high side with fluid, filter and labor?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The pan with the valve body is on the front of the trans and all that is on the bottom is a drain plug and a steel skid plate that protects the bottom. It is one of the first mechtronic 6 speed trans used behind a bew 1.9 tdi. It is either 09g or 02e. It's not the same 6 speed trans that is in our 03 vert. Could the symptoms I listed be a valve body. One other thing when it is hot, it acts like someone is pushing in a clutch on and off like a straight drive then it settles down.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My trans is an 09G in the gas Beetle, but the valve body is on the bottom. Sounds like on the Diesel it may be like on the front to rear/non transverse engines: I have never seen a 1.9 up close so the engine may be in differently?

If the valve body is vertical may be a much harder removal, but the wear and symptoms may be slightly different? Fluid level and filter issues could be more of an issue here as well?

Is there an easy way to check for how much junk is in the pan? Also solenoids wear in these trans as well as valvebody.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 1.9 diesel sits in the engine compartment just like the gas engine and the trans is in the same way. The '04 1.9 tdi bew engine is a pumpe deuce engine. It is set up like the 6.0 liter power stroke Ford. The injectors run off the cam in the head (just like the valves) and they compress the diesel fuel to force injection. The Mechtronic trans is a 6 speed manual trans that has two separate gear segments that are shifted automatically and each segment is driven by its own clutch pack on a dual mass flywheel. The fluid filter sits on top of the trans near the firewall. The trans reminds me of the old VW 3 speed automatic that you had to shift it where as this one does itself.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It says DSG on the shifter.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wrote Mechatronic on their website and they said that the issues that got worse with the temp as it warmed up were from thermal expansion, time for a new valve body and mechatronic unit. $2000... We'll see how that works in the next couple days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More bad news. No new mechatronic valve bodies in the US. VW and several major parts suppliers I contacted stated that they are on nation wide back order. I even contacted Mechatronic in
Finland where they make them and they were at least 6 weeks back ordered. I ended up going with a reman unit with a new valve body, $3850 + tax. This thing has turned into a nightmare.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Should have asked more questions here.

I cannot speak about the DSG specifically, but YOUR valvebody likely could have been reworked for around $600?

I have a few contacts I could have lead you to.

So if you are committed, it is too late.

If not, might be worth a try to see if there are rebuilders for the valve body. The problem is the DSG were produced in much smaller numbers, so not sure there is a lot of aftermarket support for them?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked with RevMax and RemanMan and they said that they only rebuilt the 01e and the 09g valve body. They told me to retool to be able to do them is north of $10,000. They are basically manual and only need the bores refurbished replaced. The 02e valve body has a computer unit attached to it that just shifts the gears. The problem with these are the board inside cracking and isn't making proper connection.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts