NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this car. It is leaking from the side plastic plug. I've been told that will be pretty easy to replace myself, but:

1. How do I check/add fluid??

2.Does anybody know how to replace the side plug or have suggestions?

·
Registered
13,134 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sir are AWESOME!!! No pictures or anything, but that's exactly what I needed. I am also having the whining sound downshifting into 3rd which they also give a solution for.
Thank you!!!
-Jake

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
Cool! Glad I could help; these particular transmissions 02M have common specific problems and it sounds like yours does too! Please keep us posted as your repair and troubleshooting progresses, so that others can benefit from your experience! Thanks! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, so I need help understanding something. I have never done transmission work more than a flush & fill on a auto trans so it is still a mystery to me.
That cap I just replaced. Was that the clutch sealing cap? Was the fluid that was leaking from there actually brake fluid supplied from the master cylinder for the clutch. Do I need to have my transmission refilled or just brake fluid?

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
The cap you replaced; was for the internal aspect of the transmission; so, the fluid was the gear oil, that lubricates the internals of the standard 02M transaxle.

The brake fluid, comes from the brake master cylinder reservoir; it supplies the fluid to the clutch, master/slave cylinder.

Here is a .pdf; that will give you, a overview of the how the hydraulic system of the 02M is setup.

http://www.mikegabriel.net/vw/bentley/mk4/3 Clutch, Transmission, and Final Drive/30 Clutch.pdf

Here is a diy; that will give you a sense of what it takes to change or top off, the fluid in the 02M (note: you may need a special socket, to remove the fill/drain plug):

VWVortex.com - DIY: Transmission Fluid Change for 6 Speed O2M

Seeing how old our cars are getting; this would be a good opportunity, to you change your gear oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts