NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right headlight out. went to vw and they said xenon control module was bad. changed module light worked for 10 minutes module burnt out again. does anybody have any idea why? dont want to put another module in just to burn up again

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am currious, did VW test the system after the module was replaced? I have limited understanding of the HID light systems on the car. Leave it to the Germans to computerize a freaking light bulb. I do know that the conrol module has the job of detecting when the igniter has made sufficiant ark and temperature, then maintaining the proper voltage to keep the ark going. Maybe the problem is happening before the module come into play. It could be the igniter or the bulb. I do know that there has been a lawsuit filed against vw for knowing that they have instaled faulty HID systems since 2004. The suit also states that VW sent TSB's to there dealers and instructing them to tell the customer that this is a rare .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no. they tested it before new module. i put new module in and blew out in 10 minutes. took both modules apart and the same piece is burnt inside.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Could you be referring to the ballast? A "control module"? I'm going to go look at the wiring diagram for these. Maybe something to do with the self-leveling feature.

MORAV

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yes, it's the ballast or yes it's related to the self-leveling. I need to have a look at the Bentley wiring diagram, which I need to do anyway, because I bought a pair of e-code headlights (not HID) that have power distance adjusters with it's switch integrated into the dash light dimming switch.

I'll do so when I get a chance, and post up my thoughts on what may be your problem.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here's the wiring diagram, identify which control module and which wire (by size and color) is overloading. Can't offer much without knowing.

MORAV

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts