NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 2.0 beetle has the windshield and both front windows fogging up even with the defroster on and the inside of the car toasty and warm. Tonight it fogged up on my mom after driving about 15 miles with the ac turned all the way to heat and the fan on max. It was about 33*. Herbie has 91,000 miles, water pump done at 60,000.

I was on the way home on a different road with my tdi, ac off, turned all the way to heat, no fogging at all.

Any ideas what is wrong with Herbie the 2.0? Mom's getting really frustrated with him. Just noticed about 2 hours later the bottom of the windows are fogged up about 3" high including back windshield and all side windows, but the tdi sitting next to it is not fogged up.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Maybe a wet floor or something else wet inside the car. Or if it smells like antifreeze in there too, your heater core maybe going out. : :(

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You likely have to pull the top part of the dash apart and then clean out all around the cabin filter and on the drivers side.

You may also have to pull the wipers and the plastic cowl cover as well.

You likely have a lot of debris under the cowl plugging up drains.

Search YouTube and see if you can find a video.

Actually not too hard to do, you will be surprised what you will find!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Sounds like it is time to dismantle the top of the dash. I've had a mouse problem, so now i have a reason to take the windshield cowl off and put metal screen over the openings.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If you have had a mouse problem, you will know where they have been once you pull the top of the dash and the covers to access the cabin filter and same cover on the drivers side.

You will likely find all the white insulation from under the covers chewed up and balled up.

You can probably pull the dash apart and clean it out in about 1 hour if you have the tools in hand and know how to get the center center panel off.

YouTube is helpful for this.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything is clean now, there was not much under the covers for the dash, some leaves underneath the windshield cowl. We put wire screen over all the openings. I hope this solved the problem, but there was not much trash to be removed.

It does not have an antifreeze smell and all of the carpet is dry.

Keep the tips coming :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, the majority of the insulation that the mouse chewed was behind the cover in the back above the spare tire. Is there any spot back there that could allow moisture in to cause the defrost problem?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Everything is clean now, there was not much under the covers for the dash, some leaves underneath the windshield cowl. We put wire screen over all the openings. I hope this solved the problem, but there was not much trash to be removed.

It does not have an antifreeze smell and all of the carpet is dry.

Keep the tips coming :)
Did you actually remove the access covers under the dash panels that would allow you to see the cabin filter on the passenger side?

Many people do not know you need to take this additional step.

I think these access covers each have 6? Torx screws?

This is pretty typical of what most people find under the access panels along with the original cabin filter - http://newbeetle.org/forums/823959-post58.html

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Sunroof???........ drains are a common problem.
Also third brake light leakage have also been mentioned.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, made it all the way down to the air filter.

No sunroof, i had the 3rd brakelight and trunk latch replaced before the warranty ran out in '09.

Talked to my mom yesterday, it appears she may have had the dial turned to something besides defrost, but at least we know have a mouse block on all the openings. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
2 trips and all is good :) Thank you!
Just so you know, the recirculation button causes the incoming air to switch from 100% outside air to 90% inside air and 10% outside air. This causes the air that you breathe and the moisture in the vehicle to recirculate which in turn causes the windows to fog up. Sort of like when you breath on a cold window and the glass fogs.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts