NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 New Beetle Convertible's driver's side window dropped into the door and won't go up. It's almost surely the regulator as the motor still makes noise.

My problem is that I'm having trouble finding the regulator repair kit for the driver's side door. The ECS Tuning website only shows the passenger side door repair kit ($106). They do show the entire regulator ($178), but that's quite a bit more money to spend.

Anyone have recommendations for other places online which would have this part?

Also, I'm looking for a good write-up for this repair, as I have not yet bought a Bentley repair manual.

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Email ECS or drop Jon a p/m. You'll find his ECS threads all over the Forum. They should have both sides. He usually responds quickly. There are good DIY threads around here. He can probably direct you to one of them also.

MORAV

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
The repair kits you are looking at are for the hardtop.
The convertible regulators are different.
I suggest you do both sides at the same time to prevent the other side from doing the same thing later on.
Here's what you need for the drivers side:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Interior > Window > ES#1848229 Window Regualtor Repair Set - 1Y0837461J

And the passenger side:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Interior > Window > ES#1848230 Window Regulator Repair Kit - Right Front - 1Y0837462J

Good luck with the repair:)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The repair kits you are looking at are for the hardtop.
The convertible regulators are different.
I suggest you do both sides at the same time to prevent the other side from doing the same thing later on.
Here's what you need for the drivers side:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Interior > Window > ES#1848229 Window Regualtor Repair Set - 1Y0837461J

And the passenger side:
Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8T > Interior > Window > ES#1848230 Window Regulator Repair Kit - Right Front - 1Y0837462J

Good luck with the repair:)
Thanks for the link!

On that page it looks like there is a spelling error in regulator:

"Window Regualtor Repair Set"

Since I used their "Search" to find the window regulator related parts, it didn't find it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I found a "how to" guide on this forum for the New Beetle (non-convertible) which was mostly applicable to the Convertible. The only big difference was the back clamp on the window glass has a bolt through the glass on the convertible, so you have to take that bolt completely out to get the glass out.

Once everything was opened up, it was obvious that the cable had snapped. So, I needed the Window Regulator Repair Set/Kit for the front driver's side door. Since my wife wanted this fixed a.s.a.p., I called around and found one locally (which was a shock), so I'm going to pick it up and attempt to get the Bug fixed over the holiday weekend.

I'm taking pictures as I go, so I can write up a "How To" for the Convertible. That is, in case there is any interest. The parts and design for the regulator on the Convertible are different, so the pictures should be of interest to anyone else doing the same repair on their Convertible.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm taking pictures as I go, so I can write up a "How To" for the Convertible. That is, in case there is any interest.
Well of course ther is interest! :rolleyes: That's one of the reasons ppl come here (lol).

Good luck with your week-end project! And let us know how it all works out.

M.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't notice this video before I replaced the regulator, so I didn't follow their steps exactly.

Instead of disconnecting the wiring harness inside the car, I pulled the inner metal door panel off first and disconnected all of the clips holding the wiring harness to it (from the backside of the panel). That seemed easier to me since I had to pull the thing off anyway to get at the regulator. If you use needle nosed pliers and are careful, you can get the wiring harness clips out without damaging them. They're similar to the plastic clips I've seen on old PC motherboards.

On the "bench tips" part of the video, they used tape to hold the metal plate in position on the plastic spacer which is on the back side of the window. On mine, the little plastic clips on the spacer were all broken so badly, I used a couple dabs of sticky black silicone RTV to hold the metal plate onto the plastic spacer.

Also, whoever had the car before me broke the plastic connectors holding the lock mechanism to the metal inner door panel, so it was a bit tricky to take apart. When I put it back together, I re-attached the lock mechanism to the door first then connected the lock mechanism to the wiring harness right before I put the inner metal door panel back on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts