VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm at work and just got a call from the SO. Daughter's '05 NB won't start. Lights work, dash lights come on, just nothing happens when the switch is turned to the "start" position. Nothing. No clicks, no dimming of lights, nada.

Now, like I said, I'm at work, so I'm going by what I was told. I will look at it as soon as I get home, but any ideas on where to look first? Did a couple of searches here, but I'm coming up with a whole host of different things to check and ways to turn. Since nothing happens (so I'm told) when they try to engage the starter, I'm thinking maybe the switch?

I guess I'm asking where to start. Is there like a flow chart for things to try, or is it best to just take it one step at a time? I installed a new battery 4-5 months ago, but i will first try a jump when I get home and see where we go from there. Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Make sure the clutch is fully depressed.

Might be loose battery terminals or even the small wire to the fuse box on top of the battery.

Also make sure if the battery is low, the interior lights are not staying on due to a bad door latch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it has an automatic transmission the first thing to try would be moving the shift lever through the range and try starting again. Could just be a sticking shift range sensor. Or try starting in Neutral instead of Park. The range sensor is a fairly common problem.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Thanks, jfoj. Didn't notice that in the signature. The manual has much simpler starter circuit. Assuming the battery voltage and cables check out there are 4 things that it can be: ignition switch, relay 3 or 4 and the starter. There aren't even any fuses other than the main 110A one, which we already know is good.

The starter could be checked by running a jumper from the smaller wire connector on the starter (connection to the solenoid) to the battery + terminal. Be sure the transmission is in neutral so the car won't move if the starter runs.

Past experience around here would suggest that the ignition switch is most likely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, sorry I guess I should have spelled it out better. It is the '05 with the manual trans in my signature.

Well, I got home and it did start on the 2nd try. My daughter failed to mention to me that she has had this problem in the past, so it's obviously an intermittent problem. I'm guessing the ignition switch. My daughter seems to think that when it doesn't start, she moves the steering wheel and then it will start. I'll have to pay closer attention to it and see what happens the next time it won't start.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just tossing this out there due to the comment about turning the steering wheel, do you think maybe the steering wheel gets locked and then the key will not turn?

I know this has happened on my 2003 from time to time, getting in or out and turning the wheel, then the steering binds the ignition lock until you move the wheel side to side while turning the key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts