NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The rear window shattered on my daughter's top and I have (so far) successfully replaced the outer shell and new window.

I'm having concerns about proper placement of the fabric tabs, side tension cable and a couple of elastic cords that attach either from the new outer shell or from the headliner.

Does anyone have pictures of which one goes where? I thought I documented well enough but am at a loss.

Two rivets are required to be drilled out, one on an arm and one on the inside of the C pillar.

I have narrowed it down but still have questions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If nothing else, just a few photos of a "good" top, partially open showing the attachment points on the middle section.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
11,914 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Overall how difficult was the top replacement??

I may be replacing the top on my 2003 soon.

I have the zipper tool and the 2 brackets to hold the rear of the top, might not be necessary, but probably makes the job quicker and easier?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It hasn't been the worst experience but it's had it's ups and downs.

Old top was hard to get out of the rear track after 10 years but luckily the missing window gave me some extra hand holds!

Getting the top trim attachment point at the leading edge to snap in properly was a challenge. lubrication helps.

Plan on replacing the C-Pillar gaskets ... the old ones will probably tear upon removal.

I'm nearing the end ... except I'm having trouble getting the top to close enough to latch "easily" without putting all my body weight on the handle or having someone push down from outside.

Looking for any help on adjustments to make in the linkage, equalize the hydraulic cylinders, etc?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Top likely will need to stretch to help with latching.

What/who's top did you you purchase and where?

What fabric style did you purchase.

More info the better because MANY of these cars are in need to a new top now or in the near future.

Most shops want about $1500-$1600 for a replacement top, so you can save close to $600-$800 DIY??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Convertibletopguys.com

Install Pack with 2003-2010 Beetle Convertible Top in Black Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas with Defroster Glass Window

Package Includes:
2003-2011 Beetle Convertible Top in Black Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas with Defroster Glass Window
New Side Tension Hold Down Cables
Rivet Gun with 30 assorted Aluminum Rivets
Convertible Top Pry Tool
2003-2011 Beetle Convertible Top Installation Manual published exclusively for Convertible Top Guys

$840 incl shipping

Even included a "zipper tool" which to be honest was just an actual zipper but it works!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thank you so much for this thread! I especially appreciate the information about the package you bought which seems to include (most) everything needed for the job. When the time comes, as it does for all convertible tops, I plan on tackling this myself on our '05.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Latching a new top

When I did mine, it would only close to within about 5 or 6 inches from being able to close. I took some nylon rope and pulled it down as far as I could and tied it off to the gear shift. After a couple of days, I pulled some more and re-tied. Then, with the wife's help pulled it shut and latched it. A few days later, it worked fine. Just has to stretch, I guess. Don't know how installers do it, either they super heat it, have a gorilla, or some magic potion. After all the work to put that thing on, I sure didn't want to break something! BTW, I don't advise pulling the pillar gaskets if you can avoid it.....mine came out in pieces.......NEW ones $125.00 Each, another $250.00 a total waste!
I got my top from the 'online guys' somewhere in the Northeast. They claim to be manufacturers, but they farm it out somewhere. Mine actually came from California. And, it took a long time to get! This is, INHO, not a job for the faint of heart, if this is your first one. The top is okay but has some puckers, as if it was a rush job, but for the price, O.K.Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did read, thanks to others in this thread and on other forums, in a VW workshop manual:

^ Place entire car inside a paint oven with the top latched and all windows closed.

^ Set paint oven temperature at 83° C. (182° F.). The temperature must be maintained for 3 consecutive hours. Top must be allowed to cool down outside the paint booth for a minimum of 4 hours prior to fully cycling top (opening and closing).

^ Inspect top to verify the closing distance/efforts

Luckily where I work has a drive in paint booth / oven.

Plan to try this next.

·
Bugger Since 67
66 Posts
The rear window shattered on my daughter's top and I have (so far) successfully replaced the outer shell and new window.

I'm having concerns about proper placement of the fabric tabs, side tension cable and a couple of elastic cords that attach either from the new outer shell or from the headliner.

Does anyone have pictures of which one goes where? I thought I documented well enough but am at a loss.

Two rivets are required to be drilled out, one on an arm and one on the inside of the C pillar.

I have narrowed it down but still have questions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm in the same position with the same questions. The utube video by the two VW mechanics is almost useless.

·
Bugger Since 67
66 Posts
Convertibletopguys.com

Install Pack with 2003-2010 Beetle Convertible Top in Black Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas with Defroster Glass Window

Package Includes:
2003-2011 Beetle Convertible Top in Black Sonnendeck (Twillfast) Canvas with Defroster Glass Window
New Side Tension Hold Down Cables
Rivet Gun with 30 assorted Aluminum Rivets
Convertible Top Pry Tool
2003-2011 Beetle Convertible Top Installation Manual published exclusively for Convertible Top Guys

$840 incl shipping

Even included a "zipper tool" which to be honest was just an actual zipper but it works!
That's where I should have got mine. Wait! That IS where I got mine, and all I got was the top a zipper and two rivets.

·
Bugger Since 67
66 Posts
The pictures are very much appreciated, but I cannot locate the mounting points you show for the triangular flaps. Here is what I have left to do:

Attachments

·
Bugger Since 67
66 Posts
On each side, there is a triangular vinyl flaps with two fabric straps sewed to them. There is a screw hole in the corner of the vinyl flap. There is a screw hole in the end of the short strap. There is an elastic cord fastened to the longer strap with an eyelet at the other end. I need to know where these three alre screwed on the top frame! I'm stuck. The top came off my 07 and is going on my 04 which I need to sell. I have new top for my 07 and am SERIOUSLY considering paying to get it installed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts