VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Bug lover
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW has finally taken the hint about the horrible cup holders in the '05 & prior models. The new center console is what I love the most about the '06. I also love the tray below the AUX input; perfect for an mp3 player!

Is there any way to replace the '05 console with an '06 console? If it's possible, how hard and expensive is it to do?

Thanks!

Reactions: doctrsnoop

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oh hell yes! I think it's a solid piece around the shifter/ ebrake, I NEED one of those! I like my 2000 era dash, but I need that lower piece around the shifter. I wonder where we could get them, it means I wouldn't have to hold drinks on my lap!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
MY1STNB said:
are you sure it is exactly like that?

i really want to see a real 2006 dash. i dont want to imagin it.
That's the 2006 dash, what part about "it's exactly the same" don't you understand?

I chose the Ragster because that shot was the only one that showed the new console, front to back in one picture.

SMG

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
The 2006 dash is just like the ragster minus the mirror and steering wheel. Also making it to production from the ragster are the front and rear bumpers, fenders, and running boar/rocker panels.:cool:

·
NerdsOnSite.Com
20 Posts
yelojkt said:
The 2006 console will swap out with the older consoles except for the e-brake handle. It is moved over towards the drivers seat in the "06".
Well not knowing too much about any modifications whatsoever but very interested in it does the e-brake pose a problem and its not swappable at all or is it? I only ask because I do not know the mechanics of an e-brake and I am unsure if its just cabling or what that would make it work.

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
The first pic is yelojkt's console (2000 GLS). The second pic is Rubie's (2006 Package 2)console. The console is just a cover over a slightly elavated center tunnel. The piviting end of the e-brake is not attached to the console but to the floor of the car. My guess is that you would have to do some metal work under the consloe to get the e-brake to sit at the proper angle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check out this long thread on TDI club. It discusses updating the consoles in A4 Golfs/Jettas.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=49017&highlight=console

Starting on page 2, they talk about having to move the ebrake handle to accomodate the newer style console. I'm guessing that similar techniques will work with the New Beetle.

Bottom line for those cars: there is a different handbrake assembly that will offset the handle. Now, we just need part numbers...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.