VW Beetle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Kimberlee
176 Posts
Sorry to bring back the old thread. Better than creating a whole new one on the same thing I guess. Has anyone completed this? I'd like to have the new style cup holders and center console in my 2005. What's the real deal with the parking brake handle? Can you modify the 2005 bracket or can you just find an updated one in a junkyard or something?

·
Registered
100 Posts
With regards to swapping to the new style console....

Here are the part numbers...I'll get to the technical stuff in a minute.

Insert for Centre Console - 1C0-863-328-A-B41

Centre Console - 1C0-863-243-E-XXX (XXX is the Color Code)
08H - Beige
2QL - Black
3SG - Gray

Rear Cup Holder - 1C0-862-531-G-XXX
08H - Beige
2QL - Black
3SG - Gray

Cover - 1C0-864-375-A-XXX
08H - Beige
2QL - Black
3SG - Gray

With regards to the handbrake, I am showing that it is the same from 1998-present, so it should work. The difference is that the handbrake handle on the newer style console is a more rectangular shape, whereas on the older cars it was round.

I believe that the list above covers everything that you will need to make the switch. Many of the parts from your old console will need to be moved over on to the new console.

If anyone needs these parts, shoot me a private message. I can get you the parts for less than you would pay retail, as I have a connection.

I have attached a picture of the ETKA schematic so that you can have a look at everything. If people need part numbers, please post in this thread and I will reply as soon as possible.

Parts to be reused from the old console are:

#2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #14-28

Regards;

Peter

Attachments

·
Kimberlee
176 Posts
So the handbrake would not need to be changed, besides the cover? Doesn't it sit closer to teh drivers seat than the 2005 and below? Also, is the button on the newer handbrakes chrome or brushed? If it's chrome you'd really want to change the transmission mode selector as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Anyone tried it yet? I'm willing to give it a go, assuming I can put it all back if it doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I just took my '99 center console off and I decided to go for it. I checked prices with the dealership and will order the console and cover tomorrow (about 120 USD). I'll wait with the cup holder, as it is rather expensive (75 USD).

The handbrake has to be moved by enlarging the holes, but it's a simple metal bracket so I don't expect much problems there. I'll try to use the old cover before ordering a new "square" one.

One question based on the PDF file presented by digifant_gli above: he states that parts #14-28 have to be reused, but what about #30? Is it '06 specific? Does anyone have the part number for that little part?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just took my '99 center console off and I decided to go for it. I checked prices with the dealership and will order the console and cover tomorrow (about 120 USD). I'll wait with the cup holder, as it is rather expensive (75 USD).

The handbrake has to be moved by enlarging the holes, but it's a simple metal bracket so I don't expect much problems there. I'll try to use the old cover before ordering a new "square" one.

One question based on the PDF file presented by digifant_gli above: he states that parts #14-28 have to be reused, but what about #30? Is it '06 specific? Does anyone have the part number for that little part?
Hi There;

I just had a look in ETKA...Part #30 is the last part that I listed...the "Cover"...It is what surrounds the convertible top switch on Beetle 'Verts....on regular cars, I would assume that it is just a blank cover. That being said...when I look up the centre console for a Beetle Convertible, I am getting the same information....my advice would be to order the part and give it a shot...worst case scenario, it's not needed and you return it to the dealership. I can't imagine that the cover would be more than a couple of dollars...

Regards;

Peter

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
The cover goes for approx 20 dollars. Quite a lot if it's just that little lid... I think I'll just start with the console then.

So the 06 centre console is one single part? The console in my '99 consists of a base part, a top part and a piece at the handbrake.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Please keep track with any difficulties you have during the swap. I want to do this in my '05. I've never done anything more complicated than switching out a taillight so I want to be prepared.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
With regards to swapping to the new style console....

Here are the part numbers...I'll get to the technical stuff in a minute.

Insert for Centre Console - 1C0-863-328-A-B41

Centre Console - 1C0-863-243-E-XXX (XXX is the Color Code)
08H - Beige
2QL - Black
3SG - Gray

Rear Cup Holder - 1C0-862-531-G-XXX
08H - Beige
2QL - Black
3SG - Gray

Cover - 1C0-864-375-A-XXX
08H - Beige
2QL - Black
3SG - Gray

With regards to the handbrake, I am showing that it is the same from 1998-present, so it should work. The difference is that the handbrake handle on the newer style console is a more rectangular shape, whereas on the older cars it was round.

I believe that the list above covers everything that you will need to make the switch. Many of the parts from your old console will need to be moved over on to the new console.

If anyone needs these parts, shoot me a private message. I can get you the parts for less than you would pay retail, as I have a connection.

I have attached a picture of the ETKA schematic so that you can have a look at everything. If people need part numbers, please post in this thread and I will reply as soon as possible.

Parts to be reused from the old console are:

#2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #14-28

Regards;

Peter
As far as I can see, parts #2, #5 and 2x #29 are also needed when swapping a '99 to '06 console. Does anyone have those numbers for me?

Edit: on second thought, #2 appears to be the same. #5 is mounted on my '99 and has part nr 1C0 864 139A, but I doubt that this is the correct part. The holes for the console don't seem to correspond

Edit #2: No, I was wrong. #2 is needed and not available on my '99 console. It's moulded directly to the console there. #5 is not needed when installing an '06 console; it mounts directly to the holes in the floor, no adapter bracket is needed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Basher,
Thanks for all the great info. I can't wait to hear how your swap goes. This is something I'd love to do to my car because the cup holders in the 99 NB aren't worth a darn. Good luck.
Becky

·
Registered
132 Posts
Awesome!!! How does it look? Was it difficult?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm about to order the parts and give this a go.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I Changed mine *2002 to the vert 2006 version. took like 2 hours, perfect match

·
Registered
132 Posts
I Changed mine *2002 to the vert 2006 version. took like 2 hours, perfect match

What is the difference between the 'vert version and the hardtop version?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I haven't had time to write an how-to yet. In fact, I haven't even finished my own install. I didn't hook up the 12V outlets and am missing the cupholder.

I'll try to find some time the next few days.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.