VW Beetle Forum banner

06 Gas Cap Holder ?

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Whitacre 
#1 ·
The 2001 NB I traded in had a handy metal clip to hold the gas cap while refilling. The 06 TDI I just picked up today has nothing under the lid to hold the cap but the manual has a picture showing the diesel cap just sitting on the lid handle. Am I missing a piece here I need to contact the dealer about or is there some magic way on the 06's that the cap just sits on the cover handle while refilling? I feel stupid asking such a question but need to know how other 06"s are equipped. Thanks...Michael :confused:

#5 ·
how to retrofit a cap holder?

I've just been balancing the cap on the rubber thingy on my '06 TDi. Having a holder would sure be nice. Can any of you pre-'06 owners give us a clue or a pic as to how we might retrofit one on to the bare flap?

#6 ·
Beeble said:
I've just been balancing the cap on the rubber thingy on my '06 TDi. Having a holder would sure be nice. Can any of you pre-'06 owners give us a clue or a pic as to how we might retrofit one on to the bare flap?
Bumping if anyone has any ideas about this. I also have been balancing my fuel cap while filling up the diesel. I don't want any diesel to spill on the paint, and having a little holder would be so nice.

#9 ·
Deserion said:
If the lid arm has the arms, then you can refit the clip...
Well, that wasn't 100% clear, but if I decipher this right, there is a holder clip we can get that will attach to the lid? Do you have a part number? Or can you post a photo of it?

Thanks!

#10 · (Edited)
Grover said:
bump again---Anybody? I have also been playing the balance act. there are those notches around the edge of the cap...are those used for something? I have tried hanging the cap in every possible way to no avail....
I have a '99 so I don't know how yours fit, but I hook those gas cap notches over the top of the fuel door while fueling...

#14 ·
I have to agree with the above. I tried to figure that out yesterday while filling him up for the first time in two weeks (just a BTW)...:)

I figure with the TDi's that you fill up only every so often, it doesnt hurt to just balance it elsewhere. I personally let it hang from the hole onto the rubber mat thing that lays over the paint. Havent had any problems yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.