NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Tools used 5mm 1/4" drive socket with a 8" extension
Passenger side
1. Find the locking bar head just under the first fender bolt. There will be a lock/unlock graphic in front of it. Turn it clockwise until it stops. Photos 2, 3 and 4.
2. Using your extension push down saftey catch tab (stamped stainless steel with an X on it). Photo 5. While holding tab down push head light out from behind. Make sure you hold your leg in front of headlight so it does not jump out onto floor. It comes out really easy.

3. Change bulb and reinstall.

4. Relock the lock bar and close hood.

Attachments

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Hey, does the new "system" look less breakable than the older Beetles? Man.. if so, someone needs to come up with a retrofit kit :)

·
TDi GO!
2,637 Posts
I was able to remove mine in the '99 without breaking anything...and therefore the new way looks more complicated to me. Give me tabs and buttons any day...as long as they don't break...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Very nice write up for hopefully 2 years down the road.

Are headlights covered under warranty for any length of time?

·
All-American
72 Posts
yelojkt said:
Passenger side
1. Find the locking bar head just under the first fender bolt. There will be a lock/unlock graphic in front of it. Turn it clockwise until it stops. Photos 2, 3 and 4.
2. Using your extension push down saftey catch tab (stamped stainless steel with an X on it). Photo 5. While holding tab down push head light out from behind. Make sure you hold your leg in front of headlight so it does not jump out onto floor. It comes out really easy.

:)Thanks to Yelojkt for his "how to" 2006 NewBeetle headlight assembly removal. I replaced the factory bulbs with Sylvania SilverStars today. The right side is easy but the left side is more difficult due to the close proximity of the "unlocking mechanism" and the "holding tab" with the battery cover and the air filter case. One big NOTE: the 2006 NewBeetle uses H7 bulbs and my old '99 NewBeetle used H1 bulbs. Once completed, the second time will be much easier.

Attachments

·
Heinz
68 Posts
yelojkt said:
Passenger side

CAN A MOD PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY????

·
Registered
254 Posts
Gotta tell you, changing out the bulbs in my wife's 2005 VW Passat was way easier than I think it's going to be with my 2007 NB Vert. Holy frights what a mess to get to just to change out the bulb.:mad: Hopefully they will last for quite some time.

Jerry

·
Registered
100 Posts
Headlights are covered under warranty for the duration of the New Car Warranty....in Canada, it's 4 Years or 80,000km. Any other bulbs are wear and tear and are not covered after 1 year or 20,000km.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome Job!!!!!

I posted in another place on the forum that I was in the middle of this job and LOSING MY MIND. Then I found this.

BTW, mine was the driver's (battery) side. The only difference is that the "x" tab (the safety catch) is extended so that it can be seen from above if you look DOWN between the back of the battery box and the front of the air filter housing. It's a silver tab on my car and it's seems kind of flimsy, but if you push down gently it will unlock.

This seems like an honest improvement over the older NB headlights and once you have tried this and used these photos to do it, it's really easy. The only tricky part is trying to get the 5mm socket on the "lock".

Thanks a million for this help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2006 headlight

Okay, this is a great thread. Unfortunately I am still having problems. Where is the X? I'm working on the passenger side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The X on the passenger & driver sides of a 2007 2.5L

I've got a 2007 2.5L and the X (on the passenger side) is about 8 inches toward the cab from the unlocking bolt. It's hard to tell in the picture, but photo 5 is looking straight down into the engine compartment. In the 2007 model, you can follow the windshield wiper refill pipe straight down and you should see the X tab.

One note, though, on the 2007 driver's side... there is no X tab. The safety release is tiny and almost impossible to get to without removing the battery. It can be done, but you'll have to look very closely between the battery and the air filter housing... underneath the two you should see a little silver metal prong. Use a long screwdriver or something to push it down a little and the headlight housing should slide out (as long as you've already unlocked the bolt, of course).

BTW, this really was a great picture tutorial. I'd have never figured out how to do this repair without it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good tip!!

I've got a 2007 2.5L and the X (on the passenger side) is about 8 inches toward the cab from the unlocking bolt. It's hard to tell in the picture, but photo 5 is looking straight down into the engine compartment. In the 2007 model, you can follow the windshield wiper refill pipe straight down and you should see the X tab.

One note, though, on the 2007 driver's side... there is no X tab. The safety release is tiny and almost impossible to get to without removing the battery. It can be done, but you'll have to look very closely between the battery and the air filter housing... underneath the two you should see a little silver metal prong. Use a long screwdriver or something to push it down a little and the headlight housing should slide out (as long as you've already unlocked the bolt, of course).

BTW, this really was a great picture tutorial. I'd have never figured out how to do this repair without it!
Thanks for the tip (above) concerning the release tab on the drivers side. Made changing out the bulb on my 07 last night much easier. You're right, the tab on the drivers side is not obviously marked, but after reading your remarks concerning its location I found it on the first try. Good tip!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 NB TDI driver's side headlight is burnt out. being a 2005, it's different from your 2006 NB...doesn't anyone know the procedures on a 2005?
I didn't see the lock bolt head as shown in the pictures. any help would be great...this is my first post, thanks.
AZSpeedBuggy from Tucson Arizona

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love you.

You just saved me 80 bucks. I looked all over the internet to find out what the "secret" was to replacing the 2006 model's headlight bulb, and your great instructions and pictures saved me. I had mechanics that couldn't do it, and mechanics who insisted that the battery would have to be removed, but thanks to you I can just go get the exact tools i need and do it myself. Thanks a lot.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if I can follow these directions for a 2009 model? Last night I found the 5mm lock bolt, but didn't see the "X" tab... then again, I didn't know what I was looking for. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts