NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
vw beetle 2006 tdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a automatic 2006 Volkswagen beetle tdi. My car started slipping/jerking really bad. I got my car towed to a shop where they inspected the a missing bolt that was for my transmission. They had told me that when they looked at my transmission it was dry. They ordered the part and put fluid. They also recommended I do a transmission service on my car which I allowed. When I picked it up they said there were no metallic flakes and it seems to shift fine. A couple days later, I am now noticing I don't have as much power in first, second and third gear. The gears seem to shift fast too. Also only when I come to a complete stop it downshifts to first gear slow and jerks a little when it shifts to first. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sounds likely a valve body issue??

Not sure what trans your car has? 4, 5 or 6 speed automatic?

Harsh downshift is usually a good indicator that your valve body is worn out. This is not uncommon, although VW claimed they may changes in the later models to improve reliability, however, I have not seen proof to back this up??

Also make sure the trans mount and motor mount are in good shape, they do fail often in these cars as well.

How many miles on your car?

The good news is your shop thought the pan/magnets were pretty clean. So if you need a valve body swap or overhaul you likely will get decent life out of your trans.

·
vw beetle 2006 tdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car is a 6 speed automatic with a little over 100,000 miles. Also why does it only a little jerk when I slow down and it goes into first? Would you know how much a valve body swap or overhaul cost?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have a 6 speed as well and it started out with sometimes delayed upshifting, then it turned into harsh downshifting. The warmer the fluid gets the harsher the downshifting.

Many of the 6 speeds have hard 4-3 & 3-2 downshifts.

VW extended the warranty coverage on many of the automatic transmissions for 7 years/100k miles for many 2003-2008 cars.

Unfortunately the letter stated that there would be harsh upshifting, but real world experiences seem to indicate that harsh downshifting was more obvious.

The valve body bores wear and cause fluid leakage/too much fluid to be sent to clutch packs too fast and this causes the harsh engagement. Also the solenoids can wear as well.

If you want a shop to perform the work, expect to pay in the $900-$1100 range IF you can find a shop that will repair/overhaul JUST the valve body. DO NOT GO TO AAMCO, they WILL not repair/overhaul just the valve body, you will end up with a $4k+ bill from AAMCO.

Very few shops will do what you request them to do and very few shops understand the valve body issues with these cars.

Good luck, where are you located, if in Southern CA, I may be able to recommend a shop.

·
vw beetle 2006 tdi
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately i live in Hawaii. Shops don't work a lot with Volkswagen around so it's hard for me to find a trustworthy place to bring it to.

It doesn't seem to jerk bad, only when i stop my breaks abruptly.

The problem is I just can't get rid of the car because I leased it "as is" and I only had it for a year. So, I pretty much stuck with it for a while. Do you think I should get it checked out immediately or will it be okay for now? :confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If it is a valve body issue, which it appears to be??, likely it will work for a while and then gradually get worse.

You might be able to work around the issue using Sport Mode or Manual Mode??

Unfortunately a fluid change likely will not help matters.

The only thing I can suggest to check to make sure the bottom of the trans is dry and does not seem to have any leaks, the level can be checked from the drain plug, but you NEED a new aluminum crush washer if you remove the drain plug.

The valve body removal is not very difficult, keeping track of all the wiring is a bigger issue. But if you are leasing the car, I would try and nurse the car a bit and see if you can ride the issue out??

I think if you use Manual Mode and do not shift to 1st, the trans will stay in and start in 2nd gear?

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The problem is most shops will only want to overhaul the transmission rather than overhaul the valve body.

There are 3 options on the valve body:

1. Buy a new one via VW parts, not sure how much, but likely over $750 would be a guess??
2. Purchase an exchange rebuilt valve body and swap yours out and return your original valve body, likely around $500-$600 may need to add shipping as well?
3. Have your valve body reworked, likely will mean more down time, however, you retain almost all of the personality of the transmission as it came from the factory. I have a place I used in Southern CA that did a good job on mine, $550 with next day turn around. I shipped mine out on Sat from the East Coast mainland and had it reinstalled in my car the following Friday afternoon. Cost me about $100 in Express Mail but I thought it was worth it to keep my original valve body.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Just be advised that while she has a 6-speed autobox, it is in a Tdi! Therefore it is a DSG unit... Not your normal auto tranny.
Rubee, thanks for clearing this up. It seems these cars have WAY too many engine and transmission combinations and they are hard to keep straight.

So to the OP, you need to research your DSG transmission operation and see if there are known issues and/or software updates that may help matters?

You may not have valve body issues, but you should have fluid checked/changed and also make sure there is not a problem with the brake light switch as well. Many of these cars had problems with the brake light switches intermittently working and many were recalled, so you may want to see if there are any open recalls on your car as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
tranny issues

Not sure how everything ended up for you but I just wanted to throw it out there for you. I have an 06 NB TDI that I'm parting out with a 6spd DSG tranny. If you end up needing one let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts