VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the drivers side cv axle on an '07 2.5L automatic. I've got it all apart ok but I can't get the old axle out. The clip will not release inside trans. . I've tried gently prying on it, turning it and prying again and pushing the old axle all the way in and tugging hard on it. Won't budge. Is there a trick I am missing here ? Some special pry tool ? I'm at a loss and as usual this VW is kicking my butt. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link. I've got a few pry bars and large screw drivers but couldnt get anything in a good position to pop it free. I'm off to get me that big 1 1/2" wide wood chisel. It doesn't say where he positioned it to pop it free but I'm gonna assume he was underneath. Or I need to disassemble some more of this car. 6+ hours I'm about done with it. :banghead:

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Other people in the thread; got "medieval" on the problem, as they couldn't get things to budge (retention clips stuck?) and went with slide hammers, drills, etc. I would prefer a non destructive approach but they went that route; after not getting anywhere. I suppose; if you are replacing the axles or cv's; destroying the old parts, wouldn't matter? :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just went to Autozone and rented part # 27058 with the slide hammer 27033. Looked very promising. Unfortunately it is a bit thick (3/16") to fit between the axle and trans. It was only $20 so I'm thinking about tossing it at my grinder to take a 1/16" off of it to make it thinner.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The other option you can try is a flat blade screw driver with square shank.

Get the flat blade of the screw driver wedged in between the trans and axle and then use a wrench to twist the screw driver.

This usually will work to release a clip in axle. If you have not luck in one position, turn the axle 90-180 degrees and try again.

Another option may be a flat bar from the hardware department if you can get is in the gap. I think Stanley makes a mini flat bar that may be thinner than a wood chisel and can be found at most hardware or home centers.

Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Titan-11505-5...&qid=1462076545&sr=8-4&keywords=mini+flat+bar

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
after 13hrs on this 1.5hr job I tapped out. Took Betty over to a friends shop that has a lift. Once overhead it became real easy. using a big chisel and a BFHammer it took two whacks in the slot of the trans joint and it was free. In and out in 50 minutes. Let the laughter begin :banghead:

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Wow, so even the slide hammer; didn't work? I do know; that when a car, is not on a lift and you're lying on the ground,it can really impair your leverage and ability to access things in the optimum fashion. Glad you got it out; it sounds like others, have struggled with the same problem as you! Access, to a lift; makes all the difference, on front end, suspension and other major component level replacement work.

When you go the axle out; was there any indication of any reason, why it was frozen on?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jack stands did not give me enough room to gain the leverage or the angle I needed to get a good smack at the axle. I tried every which way just couldn't get it. Once it was on the lift it was amazing how easy it was. I felt kind of stupid but live and learn.

On the flip side the new axle wouldn't pop right in either. Had to take the clip off and bevel the edges to get it to slide in. Still only took 50 minutes to do the whole job. If only I could stuff one of these lifts into my garage. LoL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts