NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I purchased a used 07 coupe 2.5 - Car performed fine during test drive, but after filling the fuel, it took a while to start, almost as if the engine were flooded.

A few days later, I got a CEL related to evap issues, reading on here, I replaced the fuel cap, and the small evap valve that sits under the engine cover.

Fast forward a few months, the car ran fine until perhaps January- CEL comes on; code scan it, and its the EVAP code I had before. Fill with fuel, car starts fine, no "flooding".

I choose the "Ignore it and perhaps it will go away" Method, and, low and behold, the CEL does go out after awhile.

Now, a few months later, I've noticed a pattern.

Full tank to 3/4: No CEL - Occasional gas cap light.

3/4-1/2: No Gas cap light, occasional CEL (It will come on, then go off a few days later.. )

1/2-1/4: Almost always CEL, same code, EVAP purge valve? (I think? Its been awhile since I read the code).

Fill up - CEL goes out after a few hours, and start the process over.

Any Ideas? The economy seems average for my driving, the engine does not run oddly, no strange smells or noises..

I'm at a loss!

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
Based upon what you are experiencing; it sounds like possibly a failing purge valve. Please post the trouble codes you are getting and we will go from there.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to read the codes again the next time the CEL comes on (its off currently).

I replaced the purge valve in October/November of last year. (That's the valve up under the engine cover, right?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts