NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My latest 'love' is an 2000 NB-GLS 2.0l 5sp that I picked up for $1,000. Interior shot, many keyed scratches, engine shot due to oil pan breach. The car is blue with tan interior.

After installing a rebuilt engine and new clutch ($1,400), I lucked onto an '07 NB, 23,000 miles, same color scheme. It was an insurance total having been crunched pretty good in the rear. However the interior was in PERFECT condition. I purchased it along with the five spoke rims (new tires) and the monsoon sound system; all for $1,100. I was really wondering if everything would fit properly.

Well,I'm here to report that after HOURS of sweat, the '07 interior is in my 2000 along with it's leather seats, the monsoon cd player and the rims!!!

Folks, it was completely plug and play from the headliner all the way down to the carpet pads and everything in between. All the screw holes lined up, all the alignment pins slotted right in. The only electrical mods were accomidating the dash speakers and a bit of rewiring for garage door opener on the driver's side sun visor.

So, if you ever want to refresh your interior, look for a crunched late model New Beetle. My '07 donor car was the 2nd revision NB with the flatter fender sides so I image there were only minor changes from '99 all the way through to the end of this run (2011).

I'll be happy to answer any questions. Photos are coming soon.

Cheers!

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
I was/am under the impression that the center console is not plug and play? Did you have to re-align the ebrake?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was/am under the impression that the center console is not plug and play? Did you have to re-align the ebrake?
The center console is plug and play for fit.

However the emergency flashers button that's normally on the center console's "chin" is a triangular button. Same pin outs as the original square button. I simply cut the harness and extended it about 10 inches:

Six wires total:
- 60 inches of wire,
- 6 cuts to 10 inches each
- Stripped 24 wire ends
- Twisted and covered with 12 heat shrink tubes

I ignored the passenger airbag 'off' lamp as I can't turn off my passenger's airbag anyway. I do have to go find some blanks inserts for the chin piece. I'm not wired for ESP so I took that button out along with the old flasher button. That plus I'm not wired for heated seats even though the controls are there.

Emergency brake didn't require any realignment. I just fitted the console in place, plugged in the power sockets, screwed it in place and slipped on the new ebrake cover.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can't wait to see pics! The 06 and up console is so much better...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Just curious...did you use the 2007 door panels too? Were they also a perfect fit?

I can't wait to see pictures :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts