1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 New Beetle Convertible
2.5l five cylinder engine
About 58,000 miles

When I unlock the latch to free the top and lift the switch, the top will not come down. No sound at all. The temp indicator turns from blue to yellow as it should, and displays the convertible icon.

When I depress the switch (to cause the top to come up), I hear a slight motor noise which stops on its own.

Any troubleshooting recommendations?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
'07 Convertible Top Won't Come Down

2007 New Beetle Convertible
2.5l five cylinder engine
About 58,000 miles

When I unlock the latch to free the top and lift the switch, the top will not come down. No sound at all. The temp indicator turns from blue to yellow as it should, and displays the convertible icon.

When I depress the switch (to cause the top to come up), I hear a slight motor noise which stops on its own.

Any troubleshooting recommendations?
BTW: Resetting the windows via the trick with the all four windows control button doesn't help. And I should mention that when I pop the latch to open the top, all four windows come down as they normally do - which suggests that the window controller in the door is okay, doesn't it?

ALSO: I tried taking the convertible top switch apart to see if there was a problem there. DON'T DO THIS. The thing has little plastic plungers and springs which fly everywhere. Now I have to buy a $$#^[email protected] new one. What a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BTW: Resetting the windows via the trick with the all four windows control button doesn't help. And I should mention that when I pop the latch to open the top, all four windows come down as they normally do - which suggests that the window controller in the door is okay, doesn't it?

ALSO: I tried taking the convertible top switch apart to see if there was a problem there. DON'T DO THIS. The thing has little plastic plungers and springs which fly everywhere. Now I have to buy a $$#^[email protected] new one. What a pain in the butt.
Just bought the switch. $90, but the parts guy took off $20. A $70 switch. OUCH.

-----

The switch came in and I tried the top. IT NOW WORKS. Yay, me. So. If you have a problem like the one I described above, try replacing the switch on the center console. It get s a lot of wear and tear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts