VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I live in the pacific northwest, so there's a lot of rain. I've had my beetle for 5 years and never had a single problem until this winter.I had quite a few problems and I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced the same thing and if they have, what they do to combat it.

My first issue was my car keeping in condensation like it was nobody's business. Even when other cars wouldn't have foggy windows, mine would.

The second issue was a mold problem. All of the floors were soaked and moldy, even the back seat. The most soaked area was the drivers side. I think it was the most soaked because my feet tracked in a lot of water.

I thought the floors were wet because my car is so moist all of the time. I was able to clear the car out of mold. I vacuumed, used baking soda, and now keep rice/dryrid/bakingsoda in my car. Although it still has condensation problems.

I'm not sure if the wet floors were caused by condensation build up in my car or if there's a bigger problem that I'm not addressing. I haven't had problems this summer even though its been a rainy one, my car seems to be able to stay dry.

Is the condensation problem normal for bugs? Should I get weather tech floor mats or liners?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,234 Posts
I would say you have condensation because the floors are wet, not the other way around. That's how I realized that I had a water leak in my car - my windows were fogging up inside after sitting all day. I have rubber mats and so I didn't realize the floors were wet underneath.

If you have a sunroof, clean out your sunroof drains. You also may want to make sure that your rain tray is clean of debris as well. I've had 2 clogged sunroof drains in the past year in my GTI (one rear, one front) and thought I had my water problems solved. Saturday night we had 6-7 inches of rain in 3 hours and I had more water in my car. Opened up the area in my rain tray and cleaned that out. It was definitely packed with pine needles and other debris.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not a fun job, BUT it needs to be done.

Remove the wiper arms, you will likely need a small puller that you can get at the local parts store.

Remove the front cowl assembly.

Remove the front part of the dashboard. Not hard, search YouTube for cabin filter replacement.

You need to remove all 3 pieces of the front dash.

Remove BOTH driver and passenger side access covers. Keep track of screws, there are some that have a collar.

Now remove all the leaves, debris, rodent nest, slime, mulch and so forth.

A vacuum, garden hose and leaf blower will be needed. Rinse under the ECU well.

Replace the ORIGINAL cabin filter if the 2007 has one, if it does, it will be a MESS.

I have done this 2 times on my 2003 NBC.

Since you are in the PNW, there will be a LOT of mulch in the cowl area.

This is not a hard job, a bit tricky and time consuming but well worth the outcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts