NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cast metal pivot failed. Trying to separate the mirror assembly from the mirror cover since new mirror unit comes unpainted. How do I separate the assembly internal bracket from the mirror cover? Looks like it "snaps" in and out but unable to do so. Suggestions?

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
If your 08 is like my 03, you are going to need to take the old mirror bracket off the car, and swap all the internals, the motor, the blinker lens. You need to take off the door panel. Also a door hinge bolt as well. There is a screw under rubber glass molding that also need to come out. Its not an easy job. Fishing the wiring harness is a real pia also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a special tool is required to separate the internal bracket from the mirror housing. True? No other issues so far, just haven't been able to separate the internal bracket from the housing.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The new mirror assembly comes with the bracket.
You will need to take the old bracket off the car first, then swap the glass and lens, then reinstall new unit.
It will not separate at the swivel if that what your trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done. Most challenging part was removing internals from the new mirror asembly so I could reuse the old mirror cover and avoid having to paint the new mirror cover. Service tech at the dealer was very helpful in showing how to apply force by hand to do the separation without damaging any parts.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I was a little scared prying the old glass off the motor, afraid it would break. But after a few tries it popped off. The hardest part for me was fishing the wire harness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts