NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working with my Gf's 08 2.5l Auto. Recently I checked the oil level, and it did not even register on the dip stick. It took about 4qts of make up oil to get the level back into the safe range. On a 6.3l sump, that is a lot of oil lol

The oil was last changed by a quick lube place that *may* have used 5w30 instead of 5w40. According to the window sticker, it looks like there was about 6k on the interval.

I did see that there is a small amount of oil leaking from what looks to be a possible rear main leak, but it is not a major leak that is leaving stains in the drive way or anything like that. It is wet between the engine and transaxle, but nothing that would ever leak 4qts of oil. There are no signs of smoking or oil residue in the tail pipe area either.

Since I there were so many variables with that oil change, I decided to start fresh with a new oil and filter change using the correct 5w40 oil. I will monitor oil level as the miles build up.

So my question would be if these engines are know for oil consumption issues? Many manufactures would state in their service manuals that oil consumption of 1qt/1000 miles is considered to be "normal" although to me that seems very excessive.

I'm hoping that the combination of incorrect oil and unknown oil change specifics could be a reason for the lack of oil in the engine.

·
μολὼν λαβ
213 Posts
My '09 with 46K miles uses no oil between once/year changes (approx. 14000 miles). The 5W-30 should not cause excessive usage. Although I'm using the specified 5W-40, I have used 0W-30 for one year with no noticable difference at all. I'm guessing that the quick lube dudes didn't fill it all the way. Guess you'll know with this latest oil/filter change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts