VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of these boards I was aware that this was an issue. I've had 2-3 window issues and at that time they were under warranty. The one back rear that I had today was not. Fortunately, I have a good mechanic outside of the stealership so the price wasn't the quotes I have seen from them.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help avoid this in the future like should I be lowering my top on a regular basis, when parked should I leave the windows cracked? Any advice is appreciated TIA.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
If you have a Vert, do not screw around. Replace BOTH rear window cables, the first can be slower, but once you have done one, the other is much easier.

You can get the cable kits from VW for around $60 each, if you wanted to chance it you could get the cheaper ebay kits, but it is not worth it to take the chance. The problem is the plastic part that the cable ends connect to. You can get VW cable kits on ebay from online dealers for pretty good pricing.

I just installed the cable for the other side of my car before it broke last week.

Take a few moments to align the rear window, you roll up the front window and then you can EASILY align the rear window to the front window height and spacing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I really just meant more what I could do prevention wise. Like should I roll the windows down a little before I turn the car off, etc. Should I drop my top once or twice a month versus going months without using it. I don't have the skills to do any mechanical work myself.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The window regulators are subject both to wear and tear (i.e. opening and closing cycles) and to age (i.e. plastic degradation due to age). So, I don't think there is much you can do to prevent the problem. Based on the experience of others on this site, window regulators breaking is a common problem. On ours, I've already repaired both front windows using the VW regulator repair kit (cable with attached plastic gear assembly). Luckily, I've not had to fix the rear windows (yet).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The window regulators are subject both to wear and tear (i.e. opening and closing cycles) and to age (i.e. plastic degradation due to age). So, I don't think there is much you can do to prevent the problem. Based on the experience of others on this site, window regulators breaking is a common problem. On ours, I've already repaired both front windows using the VW regulator repair kit (cable with attached plastic gear assembly). Luckily, I've not had to fix the rear windows (yet).

Thank you and thanks to this board I was at least aware of the windows so the first time it happened I wasn't shocked. Lol. I think this was my first rear. My car is an '08 with 80,000 so not really a daily driver. My BF is pretty good with cars but he almost lost his mind just changing the battery so not sure I want to put him through a future window fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
window regulator problems

I've got an 08 NBC with 45,000 miles and the right rear regulator went out TWICE in 2 months. The problem is that the cable driving the mechanism in the repair kit is about 1/2 inch too short and this puts heavy strain on the entire assembly - especially the plastic piece that joins the two ends of the cable.
It is a known weakness and NB's all suffer from it.
BTW, tell you BF not to feel bad about his experience with the battery. I took mine to the dealer for replacement and it was over 3 hours wait time!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts