NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'99 Beetle battery drain...

New to the forum - looks to be a phenomenal resource with many knowledgable, generous VW lovers.

I am experiencing an unpredictable battery drain on a car that spends most of it's time in the garage. I have the car sold to a neighbor's daughter, and want to be as confident as possible such issues are resolved before she takes ownership.
Latest example....I replaced the battery (3rd in less than a year), drove the car very briefly, then parked. Started and moved the car a couple times, over about 3 weeks, with 3-5 days in between. At around the 3rd week, battery down.

After reading a few old posts regarding the same or similar problem, they seemed not to be conclusive. I am quite novice mechanic, especially when dealing with electrical issues.
I've replaced the door lock module in driver's door. Don't want to just be throwing parts at it, but am considering alternator switchout.
The car is a 99 Beetle 2.0.

Incidentally, what is it that I hear "engage" upon opening the door.... It sounds like what I would describe as a fuel pump sort of priming for just a second, then stops.

As similar posts have a few years on them, has anyone made advancements in assessing the cause of such issues? Thank you in advance for any and all feedback.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
A common source of battery drain in these cars is the factory power amplifier for the stereo, if the car is equipped with one. It is located in the trunk. It uses one of the speaker inputs to determine when to switch its power off. Apparently over time they can loose the ability to sense when to turn off. I haven't seen any fixes other than adding a relay to the power line to do the switching.

Here is a post I made on how to find the source of battery drain:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...0356-how-test-parasitic-drain-new-beetle.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks as though my car does not have the amp. (Does this mean non-Monsoon?)
From what I've been able to ascertain, I would have located it along the very rear of the trunk area, behind left/mid trim panel.
I skimmed your prior post on tracking a drain - Good stuff - may have to enlist some help from a friend that actually UNDERSTANDS it. (A knock on my own ignorance)
Btw, I think you make mention in that post about the fuel pump "priming up" when the door is opened, which must be the noise I'd been curious about on my car.
If not the amp, your second best guess might be....?

Thanks for the input thus far.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The Monsoon system has the amp in the trunk. The standard stereo does not.

The sound on opening the door is the fuel pump pressurizing the system. It will only run if the fuel pressure has dropped, so it won't do it if the car has been run or the door has been opened recently (about 30 minutes).

If you don't have the Monsoon sound, the next place that I would look is anything aftermarket that has been added like a remote start. There is a light in the glove box, so that should be checked. I assume you have eliminated all the interior lights, including the ones on the door panels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts