VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new to Beetles , Brand new to the Forum , A Big Hiya
from Sunny Donegal Ireland .....

To Business , recently bought my 09 Tdi Beetle , i have fancied one of thses since childhood ,so decided i would try one
out . So far i am loving it .

I have now applied for my National Car test and am just going through any issues the Car has.

The Passenger side window hasnt worked since i got the Car ,
being really busy this last few weeks , i just cant get the time to nosey and find the problem , i have read through this
site and "broken wires seems to be a common fault ,, thisis what i told my mechanic to look for , on my return to base he informs me i need a Motor ! .... NEw from a dealer these are
£330GBP so bnnot a cheap option , I can source them on the bay for £95,00 the advert on the bay clearly states that it will have to be programmed upon instalation ..

So heres my Questions , hope you guys can help ..

I have checked for broken wires , there seems to be continuity on all the wires entering the door.
Is the motor a comon fail ?

What does it mean when the guy advertising on the bay says
"it will have to be programmed to be compatabile ?

Am i missing something ?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
As always; start with a fresh scan of the car and check your fuses.

The most common problem; is the wiring harness in the door, going from the body to the door (the part that is encased in the rubber, ribbed, sheath). The wires crack; from getting flexed, every time the door is opened/closed. The other possibility is the comfort control module failed or door lock module, window regulator are bad (cracked solder joint/bad switches).

window regulator diy:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...anel-window-regulator-door-latch-removal.html

door lock module repair diy:

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

Most electrical failures; will throw a trouble code, that can be read by a VW specific scan tool. You might check out the VAG 401 or Foxwell NT500 on amazon or ross tech VCDS.

As for the motor being bad; you could remove it and connect it to a battery with some wire leads and see if it works.

As for a new one; needing to be coded or matched to the car; I am not aware of that being a issue with the New Beetles of this era.

Here in the USA Cardone is selling rebuilt ones or offering a rebuild service; as the VW factory original parts can be expensive, for parts like the window motors. I don't know if they are available in the UK or sell parts for the UK spec cars.

https://www.cardone.com/

Another rebuilder; that offers repair services on parts, is BBA REMAN and they have a branch in the UK, they repair everything from ecu's, to speedo's and maybe they can fix your motor?

Home (GB) | BBA Reman

Needless to day; you can get new ones, from your local VW dealer but they would be the most expensive option.

As for aftermarket suppliers; euro car parts seems to be popular in the uk:

Car Parts | Parts for every make & model | Euro Car Parts
New, Remanufactured Auto Parts Leader | CARDONE

As for used parts you might contact local auto recycle/breakers yards and see if they have any. A new shop in the UK that specializes in VW New Beetles might be able to help as well:

http://www.poshbuggers.com/

This guy; specializes in TDI's and he really seems to know his stuff, maybe he can help?

Darkside Developments - Home

Lastly, I don't know the history of your car but we have had some really odd situations here, where someone installed used/or incorrect part in the doors of their New Beetles. This was confusing; as people buy the cars used and they are rebuilt from wrecks or the previous owners, got used breakers parts, whole door or hacked the electrical systems, as they did not know how to fix the primary electrical issue. Because, the parts were wrong; they were incompatible with their car and they had to find the correct parts. These were everything from the regulator, door lock modules, whole door and even the comfort control module. SO, when you take your door apart; look for signs of whether or not the door has been worked on before, door replaced (different color under the door cards?; plastic covering torn/gone, etc) or if the part numbers, seem to be the correct ones. You might compare the left and right sides; comparing the two, look for similarities or differences.

I hope this helps, don't over analyze things; keep your eyes OPEN and look for any signs of tampering or damaged wires. Many times it is something SIMPLE and not a overly complicated issue. Good luck and let us know, how things go; as your troubleshooting and repairs, progress! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thats a lot of useful info Billy .
There is power going to the motor , there is a printed board
on the motor which was wet , when i dried it out the door
worked fine ,but stopped after a few times operating.
I reckon this seems to be the problem ,
there is power going to the drivers side double switch as well
but the switch on the passengers side is the only one that
works , so i suspect this switch isnt working either.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Sounds like used parts from a breakers yard; might be the way to go, if you can find the same car. That way, you could swap the damaged parts and hopefully fix the problem? A VW scan tool; might help pinpoint the problem as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well , I am really busy these days , and asked a guy i know
to have a look / fit new parts / ....
So trying to be sure i had everything i needed , i sourced
a New Genuine motor from Ebay , i spied the part number on
the box , the guy was sure it was for a beetle but didnt know
which car , so i didnt pay over the Odds,
A Door switch , theres was power going to the door switch
but it didnt seem to be doing anything.
I thought i had it sussed ,
New parts fitted , Window Worked ,,,,, Hurrrahhh .....
I locked the car , then once i opened it , the window would
not operate .. I tried fitting the old motor again , again
it worked and stopped .. I played with everything in the
motor area , i dont know how but i put off the imobiliser ?.
Could this be connected to the problem ? . A Friend has a
VAG pro diagnostic tool , but it wouldnt connect to the
Beetle ?....

Any Clues ?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
For the no connection problem with the scanner; you might check this:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

Sometimes, if you have a bad component; it will kill the communications bus and wan't let the scan tool connect.

Again, I would check the wiring for any breaks and damaged wires and lastly, you might try replacing the comfort control module/computer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts