VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to repair this car for my granddaughter. 2005 new beetle convertible. 09g auto. The problem l am having is after driving for about 5-6 miles the car goes into limp mode. I have the use of a vag com and every scan l do points to the N1 solenoid #4. When l check the resistance of the coil for this solenoid its always between 8 and 4 ohms. I have replaced the valve body and the car was fine for about week. Then same issure returned. I have checked the solenoid resistance when the fluid temperature was around 80 degrees c. Resistance was 6.9 ohms. I have checked continuity from the transmission connector in both directions. No shorts or grounds from solenoid to tcm connector at the dash connector. I have logged the operation of several of the transmission components and everything looks good until I include the transmission condition test in the logging. That's when l get a failure and the indication of an error in the log. My problem is, l don't know what is causing the condition to change and what error has occurred. I love troubleshooting this car but have limited experience with Vag Com. I would be forever greatful for any assistance l receive here. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Well, we have had a long history of issues with the 09G; if you are trying to identify the location of the (N1 solenoid #4), you might download the service manual and that way, you confirm it is correct.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Where did you get the valve body from? The valve bodies, need to be rebuilt, have the solenoids repaired/remanufactured or replaced and have the added updates done to them, be tested, have a warranty, etc.

We have heard of a issue, where when things heat up; the wiring harnesses and clips, cause a intermittent connection problem. So, you might consider replacing the internal ribbon cable and the external plug, that connects the internal and external ones together. Members around here, have fixed odd intermittent connection issues by replacing these parts (one person; had the external connector smashed/cracked).

pinout/testing specs:

While, this is the 01M; it shows, how the connectors can get damaged, etc.

external wiring harness/plug:

internal ribbon cable/harness:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. The valvebody was bought from Revmax. All of the updates and mods were supposed to have been done. All harnesses and connectors were replaced. As i said in my post. I have continuity from tcm to n1 solenoid. I know the location of all solenoids. I can operate the n1 solenoid by using a 9v battery.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Hmm, many electrical and valve body issues, crop up, due to thermal issues (normal or hot operating temps). You might introduce, some heat; using a heat gun and see, if you can get the problem, to be replicated that way. Hopefully, you could narrow things down and find the source of the issue, that way. If you could wiggle the harnesses; while testing for issues, that might cause the readings to fluctuate and possibly, indicate a wiring fault? It might be a good idea; to get a bright light and magnifying glass, closely inspect all the wires, plugs, contacts, clips, tiny terminal pins, following the circuit, of the printed ribbon cables, etc. for the particular solenoid, that is throwing a code, see if you can note any issues, you may have overlooked before. We have heard of terminal pins; becoming unlocked or pushing into a connector, thus, not causing a solid, constant contact point and that, being a intermittent issue.

As we all know, it is hard or seemingly impossible, to diagnose a issue without being able to replicate it.

Have you been in contact with REVMAX and discussed the issue with them? I wonder, if that particular solenoid; is just acting up for some reason and that failure, is showing up not but didn't during their bench testing?

Please, post up, your full auto scans from VCDS and any logs, that you did, so we can see what trouble codes and errors came up, so we are all on the same page.

I don't know, if you have done live data and reader blocks on the trans yet but here is a video going over that procedure:

Also, did you rest the kick down settings; when you installed the rebuilt valve body? This typically, won't "fix" a hard fault problem but it is always, a good idea, to clear all the settings, to get the trans, to relearn the fuzz logic.

You have done some excellent diagnosis, testing and work, at this point. Just keep in mind, I am just trying to go over the basics and trying to brain storm, over possible issues. Maybe, to help you try, to jog your memory; of your prior repair process, steps and highlight, some retracing of things, try to help you, find the cause of your current issue. Please, post the autoscan, logs from VCDS and let us know, of anything new you find out, we can go from there, thanks. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much.. I feel more confident having someone like you looking over my shoulder. I have both scans and logs that l will post. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been trying to upload logging data for my failing trans but having trouble uploading. the data are in a Excel format could that be the problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Start with a auto scan, post that up; did you try to look at live data, as shown in the video and dis it reveal any issues? How did the inspections and testing go?
Start with a auto scan, post that up; did you try to look at live data, as shown in the video and dis it reveal any issues? How did the inspections and testing go?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
18032 - MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors too!)
P1624 - 35-10 - - Intermittent

17925 - Power Supply Relay for ECU
P1517 - 35-10 - Electrical Malfunction - Intermittent

2 Faults Found:
00264 - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
009 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent - MIL ON

00264 - Solenoid Valve 4 (N91)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent - MIL ON

2 Faults Found:
00003 - Control Module
014 - Defective
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

1 Fault Found:
01321 - Control Module for Airbags (J234)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

01321 - Control Module for Airbags (J234)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent

01091 - Switch Front Canopy (F202)
008 - Implausible Signal

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
35-00 - -

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
You have a wide range of trouble codes; the scans show the date of Oct 24th, which was about 18 days ago, I don't know what is currently going on but that was a bit ago.

I'm seeing a number of codes, that directly, relate to the Solenoid Valve 4 (N91) issue we have been discussing. I don't know, the history of your testing and when you cleared or scanned your car last, what the status of the car was at that time. NOTE: keep in mind; that trouble codes build up over time and will remain in memory, until they are manually removed with a scan tool. To start fresh, you might clear the codes and go for a test drive; try to replicate the shifting issue and scan again, see what codes come back.

For the logging of the tranmission; I am not seeing data, that I can see, that would be helpful, in understanding what might be happening.

Watching live data, as you drive; maybe more helpful, in "seeing" problems, as shown in the video.

I would clear codes: go for a test drive and see what comes back, if the N91 solenoid valve trouble code, comes back, it would be a "hard fault" and that would give you a strong indicator, you still have problem.

At that point, you have confirmed the issue and you need to do the visual investigations, testing, continuity testing with a multimeter and viewing of live data we discussed above (e.g.: visual inspections of wiring, plugs, terminal pins, "wiggle tests" of wiring to try to get the circuits to act up, adding of heat, to try to create the conditions, where the solenoid malfunctions or loses electrical connections, etc).

I don't know, what sort of warranty; that you have with the valve body rebuilder but if you exhaust all your testing and diagnostic steps, you might want to talk to them, about possibly exchanging the valve body, if you determine, the N91 shift solenoid is defective somehow.

While, this is pretty much, going over, what we discussed before; you have documented the issue with your autoscan with VCDS (a correct diagnosis; is a step by step process, of elimination, you are going through each step, a full auto scan being the first step, clear, test drive, rescan, to confirm, then going into the troubleshooting, testing process of elimination, etc.). Good, solid work! So, report back, with the results of your troubleshooting, testing and we can go from there, thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a wide range of trouble codes; the scans show the date of Oct 24th, which was about 18 days ago, I don't know what is currently going on but that was a bit ago.

I'm seeing a number of codes, that directly, relate to the Solenoid Valve 4 (N91) issue we have been discussing. I don't know, the history of your testing and when you cleared or scanned your car last, what the status of the car was at that time. NOTE: keep in mind; that trouble codes build up over time and will remain in memory, until they are manually removed with a scan tool. To start fresh, you might clear the codes and go for a test drive; try to replicate the shifting issue and scan again, see what codes come back.

For the logging of the tranmission; I am not seeing data, that I can see, that would be helpful, in understanding what might be happening.

Watching live data, as you drive; maybe more helpful, in "seeing" problems, as shown in the video.

I would clear codes: go for a test drive and see what comes back, if the N91 solenoid valve trouble code, comes back, it would be a "hard fault" and that would give you a strong indicator, you still have problem.

At that point, you have confirmed the issue and you need to do the visual investigations, testing, continuity testing with a multimeter and viewing of live data we discussed above (e.g.: visual inspections of wiring, plugs, terminal pins, "wiggle tests" of wiring to try to get the circuits to act up, adding of heat, to try to create the conditions, where the solenoid malfunctions or loses electrical connections, etc).

I don't know, what sort of warranty; that you have with the valve body rebuilder but if you exhaust all your testing and diagnostic steps, you might want to talk to them, about possibly exchanging the valve body, if you determine, the N91 shift solenoid is defective somehow.

While, this is pretty much, going over, what we discussed before; you have documented the issue with your autoscan with VCDS (a correct diagnosis; is a step by step process, of elimination, you are going through each step, a full auto scan being the first step, clear, test drive, rescan, to confirm, then going into the troubleshooting, testing process of elimination, etc.). Good, solid work! So, report back, with the results of your troubleshooting, testing and we can go from there, thanks.
Billymade, l have just about concluded that my problem is the ecm power relay. As l stated before this car belongs to my granddaughter. Since she bought the car she has been having problems with it. She was unaware of the issues she was having with the car. She drove the car in limp mode not even knowing it was having a problem. In my opinion the car had been having problems before she bought it. She had scraped the pan and caused a leak and when l removed the pan the inside of the pan was very clean as if it had been worked on. Whenever I would pull codes they would always be related to the tcc solenoid . And erratic voltage. Initially l had trouble scanning the vehicle because of low v12volts. I have a serious parasitic drain issue with the car. Because the power supply relay is not very expensive, l think l will start there. I have already replaced the valvebody and associated wiring along with complete continuity from tcc solenoid to tcm. If the relay doesn't fix the problem, l will look at replacing the tcm. The part number for my tcm is 09g 927 705 AP. Do l have to use the exact part number or can l use a substitute. Hopefully l have given you all of the details regarding this issue. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Ok, parts should be "same for same"; you might co tact your local vw dealer see what the latest revised part number, is the latest version. Let us know, how the relay replacement goes and if that fixes your problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts