VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 01 Turbo with a snapped timing belt. From everything I've read the head needs to be removed and either rebuilt or replaced. My question is. I've seen a few videos and it doesn't appear to be a nightmare completely. I've been working on cars my whole life. So I'm not scared of jumping in with both feet. Just seeing how's everyone experience with the job.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
If you are a experienced diy guy; I don't think it will be a problem, more timing consuming than hard, I think. http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/35490-bad-timing-belt-need-head-rework.html

Check out these guys for timing belt and waterpump kit: You will need a timing belt kit; check out these guys: Audi Parts - Vw Parts - Audi Parts Vw Parts Kit Company - Blauparts® oem quality stuff and great service. Get high quality oem parts and gaskets; new head bolts for sure, as they are torque to yield. Special sockets; will be needed to remove and install new head bolts. Note: typically, the new head bolts, use a different socket than the originals (polydrive and/or XZN/triple square styles). Aside from that; I don't think you will need to purchase any specialty tools; if you are a typical guy who has collected tools over the years, to work on your vehicles.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...ome..69i57.4942j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#

Free service manuals here: if you haven't purchased a paper one yet:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Keep us in the loop; as things progress, we especially love pictures! I enjoy seeing the damaged parts and what went wrong (e.g. bent valves etc). We are here to support you with any questions you might have! Thanks! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Not to difficult (7 or 8 out of 10), and billymade is correct, it is time consuming. Also make sure you get the CAM Timing set correctly before you mount the new cylinder head or you will re-bend the valves, again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pics should be here this week coming up. Since I do HVAC/R. I've been crazy busy. But I'm itching to get this car going. I've never driven a New Beetle Haha Hey what's everyone take on turbo upgrade. To like a K04 ???

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
For a 2001 and earlier; the ecu is limited in its upgrade capabilities and the lack of a wideband 02 sensor, limits the upgrades to stage 1 levels.

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tuning/Volkswagen-New-Beetle-18L-Turbo-2000-2001150hp-stage1plus

If you upgraded your ecu and went wide band; you might be able to do the k04 upgrades, contact Unitronic for possibilities.

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tuning/Volkswagen-New-Beetle-18L-Turbo-2002-2002-180hp-stage2plus

Wideband harness upgrade:

https://www.getunitronic.com/parts/...bo-2000-2001150hp-wideband-conversion-harness

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a 01 Turbo with a snapped timing belt. From everything I've read the head needs to be removed and either rebuilt or replaced. My question is. I've seen a few videos and it doesn't appear to be a nightmare completely. I've been working on cars my whole life. So I'm not scared of jumping in with both feet. Just seeing how's everyone experience with the job.

Just so you know when you snap a belt the valves could bend and break off. I know this for a fact recently had the wife's bug sent in to get fixed they told us it was out of time 2 teeth yeah right ok so they proceeded to put a new belt etc etc and timing chain tensioner and other misc work. Low and behold it started starting hard on our way to Walmart it was bucking mind you this is a 1.8t 5spd gls vortex blue and runing really bad we got it home put my code reader on it miss fire 1234 cylinders new plugs and coils did not solve this I noticed plug prong was bent over on #2 cyclinder not good then it's also on #1 the same we took it back to the place where we initially had it fixed and he told me there was something in there bouncing around yeah a valve or 2 broke off cause those guys messed that engine up thought they knew what they were doing by saying it was out of time when it wasn't they literally put it out of time and the valves hit the Pistons and broke them there is no rebuilt kits available I was told nobody touches those engines car is at a different place as we speak getting a used engine replaced

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Any engine can be rebuilt; including the 1.8T, each situation/engine has to be evaluated for damage and wear. A used engine; can be easier and cost less. It all depends, on how much you want to spend and what you want to do, the type of engine you want to end up with (rebuilt, used, built up for high performance upgrades, etc, etc.) and how long you want it to last.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any engine can be rebuilt; including the 1.8T, each situation/engine has to be evaluated for damage and wear. A used engine; can be easier and cost less. It all depends, on how much you want to spend and what you want to do, the type of engine you want to end up with (rebuilt, used, built up for high performance upgrades, etc, etc.) and how long you want it to last.

Do you know of a place that does this I've been looking around and no one around me does it

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Do you mean a shop; to rebuild your 1.8T engine? Let us know; the general area, where you live and we might be able to point you in the right direction. Also, be sure; to tell us the year, engine and engine code, of the car in question. These days, many shops, have gotten away from rebuilding engines in general; as it is not cost effective, because of the high cost of labor and the amount of time involved. There are rebuilders, that offer "long blocks" that are already rebuilt; on a advanced exchange basis, they ship you the rebuilt or new engine and you give them your old one, as a rebuildable core. Other places; specialize in performance engines, so rebuilding is just part of the process, of adding high performance parts, to handle the increased power.

Let us know; your budget, what your performance goals are (stock, performance, highly modified, etc.) and we can point you in the direction of some companies that can help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know I can find them gex has them for around 4,000+ shipping tax and all and vw of Germany has them for 3,800 4 weeks out what I'm saying is no highly qualified Machine shop here does them and if people say they know about these in fact they don't I haven't found a rebuild engine parts kit for these at all

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, an engine is pretty much a engine; there are vendors out there that sell kits but you could get rebuild kits from places online but they are available even from your everyday auto parts store like Autozone. ECS TUNING, you said is close by; they may sell a kit or have a long block or short block; solution for you.

Here are some vw specialty shops; that sell kits:

http://www.raimotorsport.com/RAI-1-8L-Short-Block-Kit-06A-p/rai18tbuild.htm

Engine Rebuild Kit, 1.8T 2001-up

https://www.google.com/search?q=ENG...e=UTF-8#q=ENGINE+REBUILD+KIT,+volkswagen+1.8T

As far as machine work for the block; I don't think you would have a problem.

For the head; you could do an advanced exchange or have your local shop, do it for you. There are tons of head shops; online, that are selling rebuilt heads now. I'm seeing a price range; of about $400-$700.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rem...=UTF-8#q=remanufactured+vw+1.8T+cylinder+head

While a average shop; may not specialize in VW, they aren't exactly exotic cars either and I don't think, you would have a problem getting a machine shop to do the work you need.

So, if you purchased a rebuilt exchange head; all a local machine shop, would need to do next, would be the block, rods and crank. I don't think; either of those parts are particularly special or something they couldn't do. After that; you would be ready to go for reassembly. Now, whether or not; you want to tackle this yourself or have someone else, do it for you is another question. Did you want to diy or have a shop do it for you?

A short block; would be another option, all the machine and bottom end would be pre assembled and you could get a already rebuilt head. Then reassembly and installation, would be needed to complete the project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info we got a used engine from scrap yard.. But I'm going to keep the original out of it. Are these new beetles even worth putting the money in to them I know they aren't like the older ones. Her car is in very good shape underneath and everything works on it except the engine lol but it did before someone else messed it up.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A used engine; is probably the most cost effective solution, as long as it is in good shape, nothing is wrong with it and lasts (crosses fingers).

As for being "worth it", to keep fixing these cars? Well, that is a somewhat subjective question; from a purely financial point of view the vale of a 10-15 year old car can get pretty low and major repairs can easily go beyond their resale value.
I wouldn't be surprised, if many new beetle.org members have spent more in repairs; than their car is worth. I think, we are going to be in the normal "dip" in the value of the life cycle these cars, for awhile. Whether or not; their value rises, in the future and they become, modern "classics", remains to be seen.

This is why many of us; try to the work ourselves and keep the repair costs to a minimum.

Unfortunately, these cars get under your skin; so, "normal" financial ways of looking at these cars, doesn't always fly. We hear this all the time; that the sick new beetle in question on this forum, is a "member" of the family and it must be repaired! Accidents and major failures; like a auto transmission, have a way of weeding out cars from their owners and they end up in the junk yard.

So we love our New Beetles? Yes we do; is it rational? Probably, not! Lol!

The flip side; is many older New Beetles are being sold for next to nothing and are being pIcked up for a song. Then, they are becoming "project" cars; much like the air old cooled bugs used to be, that you would find in someone's backyard years ago! That is how, my love affair with the Beetle began! :)

Bottom line: we are her to help and support each other, to keep these cars on the road (regardless of the costs involved)! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts